Bellydancing and Pharaos

Egypt Travel Blog

Luxor
My first trip outside Europe!
I have never dared to fly. I am a bit claustrophobic. So many travel dreams but so little courage. During lunch, I booked, without thinking, a trip to Egypt. As a result: the next 5 months, I am nervous. My husband laughs at me, he has already traveled so far, but he also held my hand in the plane. :) Ultimately, it wasn't that bad after all. The flight was good and the feeling that I have when I put foot on Egyptian ground feels great. I am in Egypt, wow! (nowadays that is the first thing I think once I land somewhere)
Egypt looks different than I have always thought. The country is composed of sand, and there is little green. But what does it matter? I am in Egypt.
Same afternoon we visits the center of Hurghada and all that could be seen.
Desert

After a day in the pool, we've been picked up for our excursion to Luxor. We leave at 5 am in the morning. With a small group, we share a great bus and we ride to a venue in the desert. Here collect dozens perhaps one hundred buses. Once everyone arrived, we ride in collone through the desert. In the main are driving some soldiers and also at the end of the collone. It's wonderful to see all those buses behind each other driving through the desert.

Halfway the morning we ride in the suburbs of Luxor. It makes a huge impression on me to see the expiry homes and the way of agriculture. Only with donkeys and a skewer. There are several bridges and roads off so that the collone can drive into Luxor in one big row, there is no delay.
Temple of Habu - Luxor

We begin the day at the Temple of Karnac. It was not so very busy but it was very hot. Before you visit a country or city you have a picture in your head of how it should look. It seemed not agree. Still everything is impressive and I am surprised that the hyeroglyphics are so well visible.
After our visit to the temple we visit some factories and lunch at the nile. The nile is dirty, it stinks here in Luxor. Still I think it' s beautiful. With a small boat we sail to the other side where our bus waits and brings us into a herd of sheep. Not much later, we can go to the valley of kings and queens. It's really too hot. I do love heat but 45 degrees is too hot.
In the valley there are various tombs of the faraos. It is hard to believe that this is the place I often fantasized about.
Temple of Habu - Luxor
During the day we visit more temples, one of them is the temple of Habu. The colors of the hyeroglyphics are wonderful even are the images. We have had the opportunity to walk on the walls of the temple after we paid a man. Above the wind is blowing hard and it's a lot cooler, the view is great!
The Temple of Luxor is also nice to see, it is silent because there are fewer tourists here. It's a good thing to us as we can walk around more easily.
In the evening we drive back to Hurghada.

We would go to Cairo but due to impending bombing, we're not allowed to go. I still regret it.

After a few days we're going by quads into the desert.
Luxor
We leave early in the afternoon. The trip through the desert is fun! But the visit to the bedoeine village makes it even more fun. Of course it is an area which is often visited by tourists but it is still fun. We eat there and listening to music and watching ultimately to the sunset. In the dark we ride back on our quads to the camp.

We want to spend a relaxing day outside the hotel and make a boattrip. The sea is clear and the wind refreshing. There should be dolphins swiming here but of course we didn't see them. Halfway the trip, we stop at a coral reef where we can snorkel. It's great to swim between small fish, they have such beautiful colors. As a first snorkel-experience I find it amazing.
We ltake our unch at a launche island where we can snorkel at the beach. The water is aqua-blue and warm.
Desert
The sun shines through the water on my back and big fish are swiming with me. I realized I have never felt as free as I did here in the warm water. No noise, just the calm of the sea, as light as a feather and cut off from everything. I should often have to go snorkeling, I think. :)

The night before we have to go home again, there is a large bellydance-party. I have a big secret (ok, not anymore now ) and that's that I can bellydance, move my belly, shake my body, the whole thing. I do not like to show myself but when I was standing there and the music sounded,  I could only dance. An Egyptian man went totally crazy and danced with me. Everyone seemed to be surprised that I, as a European girl, could dance like that and responded enthusiastically. It was the perfect end of this trip.

At home, I immediately booked my next trip: Cambodia. But this time adventurous with much freedom. I am ready for it, I want to see the whole world!
Hossam says:
YEAH !! I tottaly agree .. most of the time russuins win the festival that occurs in egypt , Giza at Pyramisa Hotel but there is about 400 belly dancers arround the world come to that event everyyear
Posted on: Oct 06, 2008
marloesetman says:
No I didn't knew, it's great to dance like that but it's not usual here. :( I have to go to Cairo than! :D
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008