AfricaEgyptGiza

Making it to Egypt

Giza Travel Blog

I think that the flight from Istanbul was shorter than the drive from the airport to my hotel in Giza.  But the drive proved to be a lot of fun.  My driver pointed out several of the sites we drove past.  I had my camera out, doing what I like to call “guerrilla photography” or a “drive-by shooting”.   The thing with doing this style of photography is you might get some crappy photos but a few might come out wonderfully.  I got a few good ones of a several of the mosques around Cairo, along with some scary political signs.  Another one that I really liked was a motorcycle with a pedal bike attached to it and two people on the cycle.  The bike looked brand new and it made me wonder why one person was not riding the bike as opposed to pedaling.

By far my favorite photo during the drive was of a little girl riding in a bus.  She was staring at me, so I waved at her.  It caused some giggles from her.  I do not know about everyone else but I always bring some small gifts for anyone who helps me or merely entertains me during my travels.  Additionally, I also have a small bag with some cloth bracelets for the kids.  My driver drove close enough to the bus to where I could hand a bracelet to her.  There were suddenly a lot of smiles on the passengers on the bus.

I made it to my hotel.  It was nice and i just relaxed for a bit before getting a driver for the weekend.  I spent sometime with my driver in a small cafe before we headed to the pyramids.  I was fortunate that the sky was beautiful and my driver took me to a cafe, which had a great view of the site.  Unfortunately, the place charged way too much for food.

I was very tired by the time we made it back to the hotel.  My sore leg started bothering me again.  I took some motrin and went to sleep.

SoloSister says:
what a nice idea...
Posted on: Jan 02, 2008
pbug31 says:
be careful, they like to charge more for tourist. If you learn anything in arabic, learn...bekam? how much.lol Numorous times I got lower prices. have a good time!!!
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007