Bird watching and mangroves

Kota Kinabalu Travel Blog

Last night we booked some resort activates for today, so we didn’t end up leaving the resort at all. We started out with a bird-watching walk at 7:30, which our guide told us is much better at 6:30 but the resort made them delay it because guests can’t get up that early. Bird watching consisted of an hour walk just outside the resort past fome forest, wetlands and grassy areas. We didn’t get to see many birds, but we same some native pigeons, sunbirds, a bittern, and a few bulbuls, as well as the ubiquitous starlings and sparrows. We also saw a couple of squirrels.

Jodie’s back was really quite sore, so after breakfast we went back to our room so she could rest for a few hours, then to the pool to continue resting.

A foot reflexology man offered us massages, so we spent another hour getting a foot massage. Jodie’s feet say that she has a sore lower back, doesn’t drink enough water or alcohol, has work-related stress and is tired all the time due to lack of iron. My feet have good yin and yang, but I need to drink more water and alcohol, I have sore hips, work-related stress and problems with my windpipe.

Straight after the massage we had a mangrove cruise with a guide called Adrian (there are three in the resort). He took us out in a speed boat into the South China Sea, and then up a nearby river. The mangroves were quite interesting, but we didn’t see much wildlife except for a solitary long-tailed macaque.

There was a large fishing village on the river, with the local tribe being water Baju (the land Baju, or ‘cowboys of the East’ due to their love of horses mainly live in Kota Belud and run the local tamu we saw, but are essentially the same people, descended form seafarers a few hundred years ago). The stilt village looked pretty rudimentary, but still much better than some of the poor stilt villages we have seen, and our guide told us that inside the houses the villagers are quite well-off, with wide-screen TVs and surround sound. We also past several Baju burial sites, which are hills on the side of the river where the dead are buried, and a piece of clothing is hung out on the river to mark them. If the dead person is from the royal family (a warrior family) the clothing is yellow to mark that.

tvillingmarit says:
I missed Kota Kinabalu when I visited Borneo, look forward to see some photos. Have fun, and Merry Christmas
Posted on: Dec 19, 2007