San Juan Travel Blog

During the storm
So the weather had been kind of iffy for the whole week and we knew what was coming. Tropical storm "Jeanne". The news reports and internet were all monitoring the storm closely and so did we. We prepared as good as we could or better said we figured it wouldn't be so bad. Well,  the storm hit the island at around 11 am if I remember correctly. We had all the shutters closed and some water stored in the bathtub and canisters. Sure enough electricity was gone after about 30 minutes.
We sat outside on the balcony watching the rain and the wind moving the trees around, with a "Hurricane" drink in our hands. Fitting I know. Well, it was a weird feeling at first. I had never been in anything like it before so I didn't really know what to expect. I was actually kinda freaked out at first.
The trees are bending
But since my friends were telling me that all will be fine and that most of it will just pass us by, I calmed down a little bit. (Who in the world told me to go to the Caribbean during hurricane season anyways. Pfffffhh. )
Anyways, the rain came down pretty hard and the winds were strong. You could hear the bamboo trees cracking every other minute. Before the storm started I was not able to see any of the neighboring houses or anything for that matter, except trees. Well, when the storm was over I could see almost every neighbor's house and it turned out there was a little creek in the back yard which had turned into more of a stream due to all the rain. Nothing that would have caused us or the neighbors any problems though.
After the storm was over we were hunting for anything to start the BBQ with.
A big storm
Thanks to our great preparations we found nothing. So we had to go to Home Depot which was temporarily closed due to too many people inside. We got in line and waited only to find out later that they were out of generators or anything to start a BBQ with. At least we were not the only people unprepared.
On the way back to my friend's apartment, we saw all the damage that the storm had caused. Branches all over the place, torn down power lines and some of the roads were closed due to flooding.
Back home we found some rubbing alcohol and started the grill with that. Inventive I know. Probably not too healthy either and we used the whole bottle for one silly little fire. After all the meat that had been in the fridge hat been cooked we ate and waited until the power would come back on. Which didn't happen until almost 2 1/2 DAYS later. Yeah, fun stuff. We managed. There was one faucet outside where we were able to get more water.
Pretty much the first place that had power again was "Mc Donalds". The whole island lost power that day and some people were a lot worse off then us because their electricity wasn't restored for another week or more.
It was an experience, not a good one, but not unbearable either. We were lucky to have friends with electricity and running water during those days so we went there to wash up and have some warm food.
"Jeanne" moved on and before hitting the Bahamas turned into an actual hurricane. :-(
missandrea81 says:
yeah... lol We had fun though, didn't we? Specially caring the water upstairs was sooooo much fun! hahaha
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
x_enid_x says:
Not a good experience but guess you can said:
--Survived a Tropical Storm.... CHECK!
Ha ha ha ha