Old San Juan and El Morro

Old San Juan Travel Blog

Entrance to the El Morro fortress
Today is my first time of actually getting to see something on my trip to the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. I had gotten here a couple of days ago, visiting my friend Hector and his girl Enid, whom I met for the first time. They gave me such a warm welcome so I felt right at home.
Unfortunately they had to go to work during the week, so I mainly spent my few days at the pool of Enid's apartment complex.
But yes, today Enid arranged for me to be shown around Old San Juan by a friend of hers that had the day off.  Yahaira picked me up and we headed for the beach outside San Juan first. She's an excellent guide and wanted me to see the view from their. In the distance I could already see the fortress El Morro and she said we would head there next.
Part of the fortress
I climbed around on the rock for a little while, snapped a few pictures, hurt my feet and so on. The rocks were really sharp at this beach, not ideal for climbing all over them. The rest of the beach was really quiet even though it is so close to the big city.
We went back to the car and headed for Old San Juan.  It's a lovely old city. Very influenced by the Spanish. Cobblestone streets, narrow alleys, little shops and restaurants, churches and little parks. We entered Old San Juan from the west gate also known as the "San Juan gate". We passed by the City Hall at Plaza de Armas, the Plaza del Quinto Centenario, the Ballaja which held an art exhibition, the Metropolitan Cathedral of San Juan and the San Jose Plaza with the San Jose Church which was built in 1532 is the second oldest church in the Americas!
After exploring all that we were off to El Morro! We bought our tickets which also allowed entry to the other fortress St.
View from El Morro over Old San Juan
Cristobal. El Morro  fortress was built from 1539 to 1787. There's lots to see inside, the old dungeons and cannons, the newer light house (1903) and just everything else that makes a fortress a fortress. I bought a pencil drawing inside the gift shop that has place of honor on my living room wall. Worth every penny of it. There's not a day that I don't look at it and wish I could teleport back to it. The view is amazing and it was very windy for some reason. Which was nice cause it was a hot September day in the Caribbean and it was a welcoming change from the sun burning down. We didn't make it to St. Cristobal, which is another reason why I have to come back here one day.
This was enough sightseeing for one day so we decided to find a place cool and enjoy the rest of the day without having to search for water every 30 minutes. :-)
My souvenirs from Old San Juan including the drawing of El Morro and a picture book in English and Spanish of Puerto Rico and San juan which was 7 bucks at a drug store.
missandrea81 says:
8 years?? What are you smoking?? it's been about 3. hahaha Enjoyed the trip? Hmm... you better be careful I may not want to leave next time I come visit. hehehe
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... *runs off to plan next trip to PR* (like I haven't already done that ;-)
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
x_enid_x says:
Wow!!! Almost 8 years and I still remember it like yesterday. I got a couple of tears reading this ha ha....I'm so glad you enjoyed the island so much even though we were not there all the time and the tropical storm. I promise your next trip to P.R. will be much better and I'll show you a lot of new places I discovered :-)
Love youuuuu. Thanks for being so cool and good friend :-)
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
Part of the fortress
View from El Morro over Old San Ju…
View from El Morro over Old San J…
Inside the fortress