4 nights in Montreal

Montreal Travel Blog

Montreal from La Riche Bourg's roof

Thursday morning, after about two hours of sleep, I got up at 6:30, ate breakfast, loaded my car, and hit the road at 8:00.  By noon I was parasailing over Lake George.  I took a paddleboat cruse, checked out Fort William Henry, and left for Montreal by 3:30 pm.

About three hours later I checked into my hotel, La Riche Bourg on Av. Lincoln.  I’d made it to Canada on a single tank of gas.  My first night in the city I explored Rue Stainte-Catherine, ate at Restaurant Le Paris, wasted $3.00 and a half hour of my life at Candies strip bar, then went back to my hotel and got to bed by 1am.

Friday afternoon I took the “hop-on, hop-off” Autocar Imperial double-decker bus tour from Dorchester Square.

Montreal from La Riche Bourg's roof
  I got off at Casino de Montreal, the first stop on the tour.  After dropping $40 in a half an hour at the craps table I called it quits.  While attempting to find my way out of the building I came out the wrong door and had to go back through the labyrinth of slot machines.  When I finally got to the right spot the parking attendant told me that the bus had just left, “about two minutes ago.”  Having an hour to kill and not willing to loose any more money gambling, I took a walk across the bridge connecting the islands and looked around the Jardins des Florelies.  Back on my bus I passed Notre Dame Basilica, Old Port of Montreal, Bonsecours Market, and got off again at Pub McKibbins on Bishop where I met Dale, Tara, and Bruce form Michigan who invited me to join them.
Montreal from La Riche Bourg's roof
  I had a nice time getting to know them and once again missed my next bus.  I left shortly after they did and stopped at a store to pick up a twelve pack.

It was their only night in town, so I rejoined my new friends later that evening.  We went out to eat at Bistro Champs Elysees on McGill College and found a cool Irish bar with a live band, DJ’s Pub on Crescent.  After that we headed out for the nudey bars; first stop, Chee Peri the classiest strip club in town.  The cover charge was something reasonable, “Name your price.”  Although silicone abounded, the chicks were hot and a few actually had some talent.  Once we’d seen all the dancers, we headed out.  Tara parted ways with us at our final stop, The Downtown, where I first heard the term “legal contact.”  I actually didn’t participate in this intriguing option, but the other guys took the private show and filled me in before we closed the bar.  We had a great time hanging out together and exchanged addresses before returning to our respective hotels.

Saturday morning I had breakfast in my room then went to the penthouse where I swam in the pool for a couple of hours.  Having forgotten to bring a towel, I sun dried on the balcony.  After a shower, I had a late lunch at Sir Winston Churchill Pub on Crescent then took the metro to Pie-IX and visited the Olympic Park Stadium.  The view form the tower was spectacular.

Just before 7:00 pm, when admission is free, I entered Jardin Botanique.  That was a beautiful experience.  I think the Chinese garden was my favorite area.  The light didn’t last long though (thus the free admission), so I returned to downtown.  Not sure what to do with my evening, I revisited Pub McKibbins with designs on taking the Party Bus tour.  To my dismay, it turned out not to be running because of the intermittent rain that had developed.  After a few beers I took a walk and stopped at Ben & Jerry’s on Maisonneuve Ouest.  While I ate my ice-cream cone I had a pleasant conversation with the girls behind the counter.  One in particular, Cate, was very helpful in suggesting places to go.  Her first recommendation was Mad Hatters, which had cheep beer to get me started.  After a pitcher there I came back for more advice.  She next directed me to Brutopia (live music, good beer, cool atmosphere), but invited me to return at 2:00 am when she got off work.  At about 2:20am I found Cate again and invited her and her friend back to my hotel for a few beers.  They hung out for about an hour or so then had to get going.  Her friend stepped into the hall and after a kiss good night Cate followed.  For some reason shortly after they left I decided to check out the nighttime view from the penthouse balcony it was quite nice as well as can I remember it.  Intending to return to my room I hit the elevator button and waited, and waited, I took a seat then, very tired and a little drunk, I decided to lie down in the hall to wait using the chair cushion as a pillow.  I never did hear that elevator come.  A few hours later (about 6:00 am) a custodian woke me up and told me I cant sleep there.  (That was embarrassing!  hahaha)

Back in my room I crashed for another few hours before visiting the film festival.  I had intended to see Gouttes Deau Sur Pierres Brulantes at Cinema Parisien, but while in line a guy and a girl I’d been chatting with informed me that it sold out a week earlier, so instead I saw 75 in July with them.  After the film I went shoe shopping with the girl and another friend of hers we’d met up with.  The stores close early on Sunday and I hadn’t found what I was looking for, but did get some advice from the girls about two bars to hit on a Sunday night.  Neither bar turned out to be to my taste, but looking for them I found myself in a great part of town that I had not yet discovered.

Attracted by the full-sized movie screen in the middle of the street, I ventured down Succursale Desjardins where I found a wonderful French bistro called Baton Rouge.  I had a terrific dinner there by the sidewalk while watching Nodding Hill in French on the big screen.  After dinner I roamed the streets, through the sidewalk sale on Av. Des Pins, and on to Sainte-Dennis where I chose at random Caf Bar Le St. Suplice.  It just happened to be the best bar in town.  Four floors, each with outdoor seating in back, two levels of outdoor seating in front, and the largest beer-garden I have ever seen.  I first had a seat at the fountain in the middle of the beer-garden.  At the bar I befriended a waiter named Dave as well as a few of the bartenders.  At the end of the night Dave and I found ourselves at the end of the bar with the three most beautiful girls in Montreal, one of which Dave had seen around, but didn’t really know.  Nevertheless, he introduced me to Marie-Josee, and she both of us to her two friends, Audry and Myriam.  Myriam stepped up close to me and composed the most beautiful sentence in her soft, angelic voice.  She kindly translated into English when I stared blankly back at her and admitted I don’t speak French.  I believe, “Dance with me” was the only thing she said to me in English that night.

When the crew was locking up the bar we grabbed a couple of cabs to Audry’s apartment a few blocks away on La Binere.  Upstairs, we went outside, stepped across from her balcony’s fire escape and onto the neighbor’s roof.  We sat outside until it got to chilly, then we all crowded into Audry’s bedroom, keeping quiet all along so as not to wake her roommate.  After a while of talking and joking, people started getting into the twin-sized bed.  Dave by the wall, Marie-Josee next to him, Myriam next, and Audry on the edge.  I, without my book of etiquette, was unsure of what was proper to do, so I took off my shoes and shirt, while leaving my pants on so as not to be to forward, and squeezed in between Audry and Myriam.  Awaiting a blissful night of sleep between two hot babes, Audry fell out of bed, got up to turn off the lights, and I think she lied back down on the floor.  After an hour or two, the other four of us still in the bed were exhausted at peace with the world when suddenly the lights came on and Audry left the room weeping.  Myriam got up and the girls had a conference (in French).  Myriam decided to leave and the rest of us talked for a bit and all went to bed once Audry was no longer up set.

The girls woke us up after about an hour because they had to get ready for school.  Dave and I hung out for a while as they got ready before we each said our goodbyes.  Dave took a cab to work and I walked to a nearby diner, La Binerie, for breakfast.  As I headed back up the street from the diner, still glowing form the most amazing night, I ran into the girls on their way to school.  Excited to see each other again we all embraced and I joined them on their walk to the metro.  I took this opportunity to get everyone’s names again since I had regrettably forgotten them.  I asked for spellings this time as the French pronunciations eluded me.  I also inquired about school and their ages.  Audry and Marie-Josee were 18-year-old travel and tourism students.  They asked how old I was and they remarked, “Wow, you’re ten years older than us.”  Audry gave me a ticket for the metro and I rode the train with the two girls to their stop where we all kissed goodbye again and parted ways.

I had promised to call Cate Monday before noon, which I did between trips downstairs to the hotel laundry room.  At checkout time she meet me in the lobby, I paid my bill, packed all of my stuff in my car, and we drove to the art museum.  Unfortunately, the exhibit we were looking for was closed on Mondays, so we moved on to the Mont-Royal viewpoint to over look the city one last time before I left town.  It was a very romantic place and we enjoyed the view.  Cate had a lunch date with two of her friends and invited me along.  We picked them up at their college, walked around downtown, found a quick bite to eat, and returned to the school where I dropped the three of them off, kissed Cate goodbye, and went on my way.  I made one last stop to visit Suplice again to say goodbye to my buddy Dave before I left.

Montreal