My Birthday Festivities

Grand Cayman Travel Blog

My beautiful flowers!

I celebrated a birthday while on this trip and  my parents managed to surprise me by having the resort put together a tropical flower arrangement with some of the most beautiful local flowers I have ever seen!  The activities director contacted a friend who is a local florist and she went all out to ensure I had a beautiful birthday present.  I was sorry to have to leave the flowers behind as they were still gorgeous the day we left!  We ended up leaving them at the last hotel where we stayed to use at their front desk because I did not want to just throw them out.

In addition, the night before my birthday, we watched the Barefoot Man perform at our resort.  He is known as the Jimmy Buffet of the Cayman Islands.  He was absolutely hilarious and quite the comedian.  It was neat to meet him after the show and get an autographed CD.

We also decided to do a day of deep sea fishing which is basically reef fishing.  The reef has such a sharp drop off that you can deep sea fish and still see land!  Unfortunately, we only caught a lot of barracuda.  At one point, we had a barracuda on the line and something much bigger (the local guide thinks it was a shark) chomped most of the barracuda off the line as we were reeling it in.  I was pretty much ready to head back in after that since we were not in that large of a boat...I had visions of the shark chomping the whole boat next.

My beautiful flowers!
Yes...that is me working on vacati…
Yes...that is me working on vacat…
Meeting Barefoot Man after his show
Meeting Barefoot Man after his show
The catch of the day!
The catch of the day!
View from where we were fishing
View from where we were fishing
Grand Cayman Nightlife & Entertainment review
If you have the opportunity to see Barefoot Man in Cayman Islands or his various trips to perform in the Bahamas, he's definitely worth it. His show … read entire review