Thursday 28th June

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Church of the Ressurrection (The Saviour on the Spilt Blood)
We were taken out to see the Smolny Cathedral. I was so astounded that it looks like a cake. The Cathedral was commisioned and built during the reign of one Empress and was cancelled as a project by the next Empress (She hated Rocco Style). The Cathedral is not complete, it is missing it bell tower. It was converted to a Girls’ school, it was never concecrated as a church, but it is used in foreign films as a church.
The rest of the tour was short, but interesting, and we got dropped off at the Savioud on the Blood church I saw yesterday. The inside if even more interesting than the outside. The Whole inside is covered in Mosaics. Wall to Wall and the ceiling. The floor has inlayed marble designs. Truley a wonder. The Communist era used it as a warehouse and it was slated for demolition by the Communist government, but the local government saved it from total destruction.
Smolny Cathedral

David and I got seperated in our search for an internet cafe. He went towards the train museum and I towards the PostOffice. I eventually found the post office, one large building with 20 counters and one little shop in the middle. I was directed to a counter (10) where a man packaged my items badly in paper. Yes folks. Paper only. I am now certain all my items will be totslly destroyed by the time they reach Australia. I was chraged 17 roubles for a box (For the larger dolls) and passed on to counter 9 to get stamps and have the customs forms stamped. She chraged me 519 roubles and wouldn’t take my Mastercard and the cashier at counter 3 (Money change) wouldn’t change my US dollars. I was sent to a hotel just down the road and had to beg my way throught their security to get to the money change people. I managed to hobble back where I was greeted with a big smile, and appology and a receipt. I was so worn out by this I forgot to buy extra stamps for my postcards. I was annoyed at myself as I had managed to post things but as I have forgotten to bring Shawanna’s Address with me so all her stuff went to Australia (BAH!) The address was safe in my hotel room AARGGHHHJ
I totally failed to find the palace where Rasputin was murdered, but found the canal where his was thrown. The museum was not marked on the map or any map of the city. Very upsetting as I really wanted to go there. I was also to worn out by the marathon walk through the city to walk back to the Russian Museum which features modern Russian art. I was so tired and it was raining on me that I just felt like crying. Without David this city is no fun at all. I did find a bookshop where for 77 roubles I got a nice who’s who of the Russian rulers. Great for these tours where names are thrown at you. Spent the rest of the afternoon in the hotel recovering. As some of the tour group dawdled in, I was told one of the group was mugged on the metro. They took his money but they returned his wallet. They surrounded him as he entered the airlock of the metro. He only lost $150 but he was shaken up by the experience.
Now on the St Petersburg train to Moscow. The cabin is bigger than expected and very comfortable. A good ending to a very stressful day.
Church of the Ressurrection (The S…
Church of the Ressurrection (The …