24 / 7 / 365

Curitiba Travel Blog

24 / 7 / 365 CASE 1: “Siesta Time” Its Saturday afternoon, around 3:30 and you are hungry. You gather a few friends together with the intentions of having a late lunch. Your options are endless, and you never contemplate the entire town closing down. It is very apparent by the vast and growing obesity rate in the United States�"but simply put, we NEVER go hungry in the States! So it was Saturday (6/24), and it was around 3:30, so we decided to wander around to find a local restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat. We found ourselves walking, and walking, and walking, not running into any restaurants. We asked locals for help, and they were very friendly in giving us directions, but reminded us that many restaurants close at 3:00PM. We walked a total of probably 15 blocks and finally were going to give in to a small sandwich shack. Derek was talking to the woman in the restaurant and made the comment “there are no restaurants open now!” She was extremely friendly, and insisted that we walk a few more blocks to the nearest pizza joint. Johnny and Eric eyeballed a homeless man on the side of the street crouched down eating a plate of what looked like pasta. They made the comment and joked around about never in their life having experienced eyeballing a homeless persons food. When we finally arrived at the restaurant we ate as if we had not eaten in days, and the boys all got their own personal beer (beer here is sold by the LITER). Every time the boys get a beer the servers are always shocked that they get their own individual beer�"typically it is SHARED at the table. We were able to enjoy the Argentina vs. Mexico game that started about 20 minutes after we got there. We were the only people in the entire country supporting Argentina. Aside from our binge eating and drinking, the supporting the main rival of Brazil made us stand completely out as foreigners. During half time we walked the 15-or-so blocks back home, but this time through a local market where I bought a chocolate covered gingerbread cookie for 1 real. Anyway, maybe we should consider having a “siesta” time in the United States. One in which ALL restaurants close down from 3PM-6PM (including fast-food). Maybe this would solve the obesity problem? HAHA What do you think!? CASE 2: “Sleepy Sunday” (6/25) Waffle House. Wal-Mart. Kroger. Walgreen. Steak n Shake. The 24/7 lifestyle is so common in the United States. If you have a craving or need for anything at all in the middle of the night you can get it with no problem. Chicfila is the exception that I occasionally complain about, simply due to the fact that the only time I crave a chicken biscuit is on Sunday. Anyway John Winn, and Lynn Deaton and I were all desperately in need to get on the computers to work on our blogs, to check email, and probably just because we were in denial of our general internet withdrawal. Unfortunately there is not an overabundance of computers (or locotorios) here in Brazil as there is in Argentina, and certainly in the U.S. The closest Internet café that Winn found was roughly 10 blocks away. We walked to it, and when we finally arrived it was closed. What were we thinking, it is Sunday, of course it would be closed! I looked at the bright side of the picture, however. I realized that Monday was only a day away, and that we would be able to get our Internet fixes in just 24 hours. Thank God I was not in the land of the lazy (sic: France)�"where often times they extend their weekends to Monday! I don’t know if I would have survived!