Bangkok - Phuket - Chiang Mai (November 19th - December 17th 2007)

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

So my 1st week was a frantic one - I landed in Bangkok and spent 3 days there acclimatizing and site seeing - I had completely forgotten how huge the city is and polluted. There is one new addition though - the sky rail and metro (underground) which was not there in 2001 when I was last in Thailand. After seeing several temples and catching the river taxi which was a great way to see the city from a different angle I flew down to Phuket for 4 days and caught up with an Aussie called Mike (an old friend of Fi Tod's) and went scuba diving which was superb - lots of turtles and Octopi and Barracuda to see and giant starfish. I stayed in a small resort called Kamala Beach about 10 kms from Patong where all the dodgy nightlife happens.

It has been a busy few weeks. I have completed levels 1-3 of the Thai Yoga Massage course and basic reflexology/Thai foot massage at the international training massage school It has been a really fun few weeks, we have classes everyday from 9-3 and then practise in the evenings. Every morning started with yoga and Tai Chi, you can imagine how talented I was at this part!! A lot of the students are professional masseuses in their own countries and so I had a lot to learn, although having/doing a free massage everyday is not such a hardship :-)

Have made some lovely friends on the course and we spent the first weekend together celebrating the lantern festival. We got to make little boats out of banana leaves and flowers to sail down the river, was very proud of my blue peter attempt until i saw the ones the primary school children had made and started to feel slightly embarassed! All weekend there were festivites in the city and everybody set off big paper lanterns with lights inside. A few mishaps happened with ours, as we managed to burn through the string of lights in the moat, however not as bad as some people who got them caught on the electricity pylons....
Really lovely night as the thai families all shared their fireworks with us and we chilled out at the river with cocktails.

At the end of my second week, Simon Wilson arrived in Chiang Mai for a whirlwind tour of Thailand in 10 days - looked completely shattered, so had to show him the sites of Chiang Mai until the small hours of the night.... visiting the infamous Roof Top Bar after a great meal at "Wok Restaurant". I was then promptly thrashed at pool by Simon - who has proudly boasted that he's the best Cordwainer in Thailand at pool - will be looking to settle matters upon the rematch when we next meet up; there might be a trend here so I will be practicing between now and my trip to Sri Lanka for the New Year!!!! (Oli be warned).

My 4th course ends this week and I will be moving on to a tiny village to the North West of here called Pai where I shall be completing my Reiki Master qualifications and seeing in Christmas before heading to Bangkok and on to Sri Lanka for 5 days until the 3rd Jan 2008 when I will be returning to Thailand.
Chiang Mai