Battambang Travel Blog

The nice woman selling the boattrip from Riepers to Battamburg told me that the trip was about 8 hrs and that I would arrive in the early afternoon. This gave me some time to explore Battamburg a bit and maybe have a famed cooking class at one of the local restaurants.

The boat itself was a regular tourist trap; packed to the max with unsuspecting tourists mostly from Australia. A surprise to me was to see John & Kate again with whom I did the Tiger Leaping Gorge in China more than a month ago. We had some catching up to do and compare our adventures and misadventures; see who has the best. They told me they went to the Harmony hostel in Pingyao but forgot to order the Banana pancake which was coincidently the only thing I recommended the Harmony for and the very friendly and helpfull staff.

Bearing in mind that the trip only lasted for 8 hrs, I went for the upperdeck to see more of the amazing scenery. Pretty soon I was aware that the nice woman selling me the boattrip made the traveltime a bit shorter than in reality. As the dry season had set in, the once wide canals in which the boats could navigate were now a mere narrow passage. Our boatsboy had to work hard to help steering the boat through the shallow waters and sharp bends.

We were going slower and slower as the passages became narrower and narrower until we came to a full stop. The boatcrew was scrambling to their feet to the engine room which was conviently located at the back of the boat. The only thing seperating the crew from the enige room were 20 tourists and a mountain of backpacks. This was no obstacle for the crew as they used the outside of the boat to get to the enige room. After what seamed an eternity in the radiating sun we set off again. This time with no problems and docked at Battamburg just before 5pm. This gave me little or no time to explore Battamburg let alone attend a cooking class.

photo by: Mezmerized