AsiaChinaLijiang

Lijiang Travel Blog

The gorge

Legend says that a tiger leapt the gorge to escape the fire. I am going to check if indeed a tiger could leap from one side to the other of the gorge. Before I can see the gorge I have to hike to middle gorge in a lord of the rings style scenery. I set off together with Gabriel, John & Kate, Tim, Axel and Jody. Only Tim has his full backpack with him, weighing a colossal 20Kg.

When we reach the infamous 28 bends that seemed more like 58 bends, Tim still carying his burden almost collapses under the weight but after an epic climb he reaches the top. The bends are hard enough without the 20kg, I can't even start to imagine how to do it with 20kg on my back. Anyway as it is getting dark and I want to see the walnut gardens as well the next day we split the group in two as John & Kate, Ganriel and I head for the Halfway guesthouse.

A well deserved rest after "conquering" the 28 bends
It is more like a race against time to arrive before dark but we make it. The guesthouse is packed with heaps of Australians that came from the other side and talked us out of going to the Walnut cove as they only counted two walnut trees. So we have an easy day we think.

We have to pay an old Chinese lady Y10 to descent to the gorge as she claims the path to be her own, we see no other choice than to pay the lady other than throw her off the cliff which is a bit radical. Axel has joined us in the meantime and we climb down to the gorge. The gorge itself is bit too wide for a tiger to leap from one side to the other. After the usual kodak shots we ready ourselves to climb back up, this time we are greeted by a young Chinese lady that blocks our way physically.

We have to pay her Y10 as the ladders are hers, we argue that we won't use the ladders. She says that we have to pay Y10 for using her path as she does maintance on it. Again we fork out Y10 to climb up. After paying the young lady we see her all smiles as she just netted a weeks salary from us.

As we progress on the path we can clearly see that the last time maintance was done was when the lord himself walked the face of the earth. The ladders were in no better shape than the path and that was decisive for me to go up the "safe" path, which initself was not so safe. Meanwhile Axel and Gabriel were two brave souls defying the rules of logic and went up the ladders. First to come out alive of the ladders was Axel, he was all shaking and trembeling and saying weird stuff in German and English. All I figured was that he was really happy to have both of his feet on solid ground. Gabriel on the other hand was his coolness and couldn't care less.

The gorge
A well deserved rest after conque…
A well deserved rest after "conqu…
The place where the tiger leapt