EuropeFranceLyon

Good coffee and a beautiful city - Geneva with a pulse

Lyon Travel Blog

Basilica from below

Lyon is a beautiful, beautiful city. Having just come from Geneva it didn't strike me as all that different really, except that the average age was about 20 years younger, people didn't have that I've-just-come-from-a-funeral look to them, and there was a wonderful 'joie de vivre' which was sorely missing in Geneva. Apart from that, Lyon and Geneva are similarly attractive cities with attractive people and manicured dogs and lots of Peugeots and Renaults.

The hotel, widely touted as one of the best mid-class options in Lyon, came with the added bonus of an 87-step climb to get to my room (yes, I counted). Lifts, it would seem, are optional here.

Spent two days wandering around with no specific plan other than avoiding displays of rocks and stuffed animals... acheived this successfully and saw most of Lyon's sights- the Basilica, Opera, Hotel de Ville, Art Museum, Theatre, boulangeries, cafes. It's impeccably clean, everyone I met was ridiculously friendly and happy to jabber away with me in my version of French, and sitting on the terrace of a cafe with a cafe au lait and a croissant in the sunshine I couldn't think of a better place to be :-)

yorickandelan2 says:
Lyon must be truly captivating because we are waiting or the 'more to come' still. I'm not going to add to the punches you already felt in your references to Prague - but surely a rock and stuffed bird fest can hardly inspire one about ANY city. Hope you are travelling safely.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008
Basilica from below
Stairs leading down from Basilica …
Stairs leading down from Basilica…
Lyon