Almost a white Christmas...

Vaassen Travel Blog

Pete at Vaasen

Melbourne-Sydney-London Heathrow-Amsterdam... It was inevitable, I suppose that although I would arrive well rested after over 24 hours of business class bliss, my bags would not. And so it was that I found myself sitting alone watching the empty baggage carousel go around and around.... and got that sinking feeling. The Dutch approach ("we have no idea where it is. Merry Christmas!") was slightly disheartening but someone, somewhere found my bag at Heathrow and sent it on its way for a very happy reunion.

Met up with Pete in Vaasen where we did all the usual things that must be done - midget golf, visiting extended family with the use and abuse of a mixture of Dutch and English on both sides, and feasting on the things the Dutch do best - Chocomel, Olliebollen, Appelflap, pancakes, the list goes on.

We decided to do that which we"ve purposely avoided in years previous - Amsterdam. It"s still grotty, overcrowded, overpriced, and as far as I can work out, totally over-rated unless you"re into cannabis "museums". It"s got the feeling of a city that must have been absolutely brilliant in the 1700"s but hasn"t got anywhere near that kind of charm now - not like the real Holland anyway.

And then that was that... time to move on.

photo by: Rudy