Day 2 Off to a late start

Paris Travel Blog

Hotel de Ville
Today I was up very early for being on vacation. The noise around the hotel was too much for me to go back to sleep. I wish I had earplugs. So I'm uploading my pictures and writing my first couple of blogs here. Keeping you folks up to date til hubby wakes up.

He did finally want to get up at around 11pm. I'm telling ya, wouldn't wanna go on a cruise with him. We would miss every port. lol So we headed out toward the Louvre closer to high noon. We got "breakfast" at the breakfast place right by Notre Dame that I fell in love with on my last visit. Of course at this hour they didn't serve the traditional breakfast anymore. I would have loved to have a fresh croissant with jam and some fresh orange juice. I got the omelet instead and hubby got an omelet on toast and a crepe with fresh bananas and caramel sauce.
I think it's beautiful

After breakfast, or lunch rather, we walked to the Louvre. It was so nice out that riding the Metro there would have been a crime. We stopped by Hotel de Ville and took a few pictures. We came across a Starbucks and had to get coffee again, even though we had just had some. We arrived at the Louvre after a short 15 minute walk but had to now finish our coffee before heading into the museum. We bought our tickets at the self serve counter for 9.50 Euros.

Hubby rather has me take the lead than saying what he wants to see so my first mission was to find the Winged Victory of Samothrace which is placed at the top of the Daru staircase in the Sully wing. I just love the statue was discovered on the Greek island of Samothrace and then shipped of to the Louvre some time after.
Mona
I bought a miniature of this statue on my Greece cruise in Katakolon because I remember it from my first visit to the Louvre 6 years ago. It looks majestic with its big wings, making it seem like it's about to fly off.

We climbed the rest of the staircase and entered the Grand Gallery of paintings which is located in the Denon wing. We saw many very impressive painting by many artists. Mostly French from what I remember. We saw the Mona Lisa up close. I believe she has received a new place of honor on the grounds. I still think she is not very impressive and rather small compared to the other HUGE works of art. We spent about 2 hours in the gallery before heading back toward the statues and orientals trying to find the Egyptian section. My new obsession until I get to go to Egypt myself.
Venus de Milo

We strolled along the hallways and rooms filled with marble statues. Ceilings covered in gold leaf with massive paintings. Here we found Venus de Milo which is another one of the great pieces kept here at the Louvre. We then explored the oriental section with findings from Syria. We finally found the Egyptian corner. There was Sphinx look alike and lots of sarcophagi. Many little statues resembling animals. Chairs that were used to store the organs of pharaohs.

So about this time we got a call from cousin Yan that he was now up and wanted to meet up. He and his friends were out at a salsa club last night and needed a bit more sleep today. Turned out that he was near Arc de Triomphe and so we said our good byes to the Louvre and headed for the Metro. After 4 1/2 hours at the Louvre I needed to sit down for a bit.
Impressive
We went to the Ternes stop on the blue 2 line of the Metro and met up with Yan. He then took us to a Tea room. He had already been inside and bought a ton of tea in the hour that it took us to make our way over. So we got a seat and ordered some dessert and a pot of tea each. Amazing tea! I had the Marco Polo blend and the boys had some variation of Earl Grey. The desserts were a feast for the eye. We sat here and chit chatted for probably 2 hours.

It was already dark out when we got back outside. We headed over to the Bastille area of town because that's where Yan was staying. He was going to pick up his laptop and then come over to our hotel to transfer some pictures and chat some more. Plans got thrown over though. The kids wanted to go back out dancing again.
haha So Alex and I headed back to our area. Tonight we got ourselves a Doner, gyro, call it what you want. They're delicious. They have a different twist to them anywhere you go. In the Bavaria they serve them with lettuce, tomato and zaziki, in Stuttgart they're served with cut up cabbage and a slice of Feta cheese and here in Paris the gyro is served with fries inside. LOL I removed those because to me, it just doesn't fit, plus the fries here are aweful.

So very tired and with achy feet we retired to our hotel at around 10 pm. Feel asleep as soon as we hit the sheets.

emmllerg says:
Enjoy your next vacation to Paris
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
missandrea81 says:
I agree! :)
Posted on: Jan 31, 2011
spocklogic says:
I mean it - great pictures! It's one of the places in the world that you could photograph for a lifetime - It's so immense.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011
Looks nothing like you
Looks nothing like you
Venus and Mars
Venus and Mars
Lets get ready to rumble!
Let's get ready to rumble!
Part of the Athens Acropolis
Look up!
Look up!
Metro
Metro
Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel tower i…
Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel tower …
Bastille