Day 2 - The Louvre

Paris Travel Blog

At the Louvre
Since I took it easy on the first day, I was able to get up pretty early with enough time for a nice breakfast before heading for the Louvre. There were a couple of cafes that I had seen when I was hunting for my hotel yesterday. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place that I went to and all my researches came up with nothing. So all I can give you is the raw description on how to get there. When you stand in front of Notre Dame it's on the street to your left. When you sit inside you can see the Notre dame outside.  Why am I telling you all this?? Because the breakfast was heavenly. Croissants, bread, jam, coffee, fresh orange juice. You can watch them squeeze the oranges behind the counter. lol But enough about breakfast.
So I walked along the Seine to the Louvre, which wasn't far from my hotel.
At the Louvre
There were no lines outside at all so I guess it was my lucky day. It was a little bit after 9:00 am now. Today I would take my time browsing paintings, sculptures and so on. The Louvre in itself is already a sight on its own. The famous glass pyramid which is also the main entrance. Keep in mind that this was before the movie Da Vinci Code came out and only a little over a year after the book. hehehe I hadn't read it otherwise I would have explored the Louvre differently. (Love that book!)
I didn't even know where to begin after I had purchased my ticket. So I started by discovering what the Louvre had been before. A fort and a castle! Parts of the wall are on display. I loved the Egyptian part. My dream is to see the pyramids and sphinx so this was a little taste of that. I only loosely followed a map unless there was something that caught my eye while walking by the signs of orientation.
I saw the "Venus de Milo" and the "Winged Victory of Samothrace" which has a great spot on top of the Daru staircase. Many, many paintings, of course the "Mona Lisa" which was way smaller then what I had expected and Napoleon's former apartment. You feel like royalty just walking in the halls of this beautiful museum. If you come to Paris you just have to take a day to visit the Louvre. Even if you are not an art buff you will enjoy this place.
As a souvenir I bought "The little book of The Louvre" otherwise I would probably not remember any of the sculpture's names. ;-)
missandrea81 says:
LOL..... No! But it's funny you said that. I love Euro trip. "Me scusi!" ;)
Posted on: Jan 31, 2010
marksreynolds says:
No line, nice!! So did you see any "robo" guys outside?? hahaha (EuroTrip movie)
Posted on: Jan 30, 2010