Getting around Paris Day 1

Paris Travel Blog

Arc de Triumphe
I took the night train from Stuttgart to Paris. It was a long and very cold ride. For some reason the heater in my compartment didn't work but I had a reserved seat so I didn't think about switching somewhere else. The train conductor didn't speak much German or English so I couldn't exactly ask for a different seat. At least I had a compartment to myself which was nice.
I arrived in Paris in the morning and started looking for a hotel. Don't let yourself be fooled by a map with all the hotels on it. Because I'm pretty sure hotel means something different in French. Anyways. I got a cab to a place called Hotel de Ville, which turned out to be the Parisian municipality. I guess it was silly of me to not look at some tourist guides prior to my visit.
hehe
Well, so I checked out a few hotels around that place which were pretty pricey. I finally found one right across the river from the cathedral of Notre Dame. The Hôtel de Notre Dame "Saint-Michel". Not bad I thought. Well the hallways and stairwells were very narrow but the room was cosy. The bathroom was very nice and pretty new. So after settling in I bought a bus ticket that was good for 3 days.
That day I went all the way to Champs Elysee. Walked around there and just took in all the incredible architecture. Statues, monuments, obelisks, plazas, etc. Too many to name because I was only there for such a short time and my new digital camera was limited to 30 pictures. I did buy a touristy book with lots of pretty pictures and descriptions in it.  Also about 20 postcards because they were unbelievably cheap.
Famous bag store Louis V
10 for a Euro is all I'm saying.
 So I finally got to the Arc de Triumphe which I had to climb of course. You have an incredible view from up there! Almost a must see if you ask me! ;-) Then I hopped on the bus again and went to the Eiffel tower. It was already getting dark so I caught the sparkly light show from the cab. I believe it starts at every full hour and goes on for maybe 5 minutes. Don't take my word for it though.  So I purchased a ticket for the elevator up. There was no way that I was going to climb that thing! It's huge!!! Once I got to the top it was too dark to see anything but the city light. It was still beautiful and I'm planning to go back again. Some time in the future.
... too be continued.....
emmllerg says:
Enjoy the places Paris has to offer you
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
spocklogic says:
Ah. perhaps why I missed them...
Posted on: Jan 29, 2011
missandrea81 says:
What are you referring to? The giant bags? That was on Champs Elysee. They are not there anymore. :)
Posted on: Jan 26, 2011
Some other arch
Some other arch
Paris Hotels & Accommodations review
Comfortable hotel near Louvre and Notre Dame
I stayed in this hotel for three nights. All in all I don't have any huge complaints about this place. The hallways to the rooms are very narrow and t… read entire review
Paris