Monterey Bay Aquarium

Monterey Travel Blog

Another fine day spent with the sister-in-law and the family. My sister-in-law is staying with us this week before moving to the East San Francisco Bay for a job. Today we went to the fish-and-kid-filled Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I love this place, although today, the second day of spring break it was more jam-packed with people than I’ve ever seen before. I don’t recommend a visit on such a busy day; go early in the day or in the off-season.

Just a half-day did us fine. The kids were so excited with the new touch pools and the new exhibits that I thought they were going to explode several times. An exhibit that just opened in the last few weeks called “Splash Zone” was a pretty cool mix of sealife the kids could touch and play with under the supervision of docents. MBA rehabbed some old kids’ areas and updated them, all in all great improvements.

The price of $25 bucks for adults is steep, but if you have the place mostly to yourself, it’s a steal. When you consider the conservation efforts the aquarium does, the price is well worth it.

The on-site food is great. They offer the basics like hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and ice cream—but they also have a nice selection of good cuisine in a sit-down restaurant.

By far, the best part of the day was seeing my two kids discovering new things and having a good time with their auntie and mom.

Neldy