Goodmorning Cambodia!

Cambodia Travel Blog

Our group

Phnom Penh: We started our journey in Phnom Peng. It is my first time in Asia and everyting I see is new for me. The taste of fresh food, the smell of burning fires and the sound of thousands of motorbikes. We are starting the day by taking a visit to the killing fields.This is the place where pol pot killed hundreds of thousends innocent people. Nowadays it' s a big field with hundreds of butterflies. Although there happened so many horrible things there and the skills are collected in one big monument, it feels like a peachefull place. Maybe it' s because of the butterflies, as if they are supporting the souls of the people who died here. It' s a strange and confusing visit. Also our visit to the prison is horrible. People have been tortured here and their blood is still on the walls. Of every person who was going to be shoot they made a picture.

Phnom Penh
Everybody who takes a vsiit to this prison gets angry and sad at the same time. These things are against humanity.

The next day we want to see less horible places so we take a visit to some markets by bike. After visiting the big market and walking on the boulevard we take a look at the museum of art and the royal palace. The next day we will travel to the south of Cambodia, Sihanoukville.

Tip Phnom Penh: Dinner at the restaurant Friends. Make a reservation in the morning or afternoon because the food is really good and everyone wants to eat here.

Royal palace - Phnom Penh
The people who are working here are streetchildren, working to get a education. The food is great and you are helping kids by eating there. There is also a nice shop. Buy the cooking book!!!

Kampot • Bokor • Sihanoukville: With a small group we are travelling to the south of Cambodia. We can stop whenever we want to and that's a relaxing way of traveling. The people in our group are all great and besides of a lot of fun we also share our experiences. Nearby Kampot we take a stop at a small temple. This is our first boudistic temple we ever visited. There are a lot of little children which are walking with us. They don' t want any money or candy' s, they're just curious because this is not a place which is visited by many tourists. It' s a peacefull place, no hurry, no noise, only the wind in our hair. (hey, I am a woman and a bit poetic.

A bit unsharp but still beautiful. :)
:))

We arrive Kampot in the afternoon. We will stay here only for 1 night. The hotel is small and noisy but we don't care, we are in Cambodia and this is the way they live. We take a late walk along the river and joining a wedding for a short while. In the early morning we take our seat in the back of an old pick up. Together with a friend we lay in the bag, bumping for two hours all to the top of Bokor hill station. Except for the dangerous spiders which fell in our sheet during the ride, we enjoyed it.

In the afternoon we arrive in Sihanoukville, a small place on the beach. We are stayong at the Orchidee Guest House. The owner is Jan from Rotterdam, The Netherlands. We know many people from Rotterdam so it was nice talking with him. In the evening we take dinner on the beach and talked with the girsl who are selling bracelets and fresh fruit.

I didn't try them...
The next day we decided to stay at the beach the whole day. Together with our friends, we bought some bracelets and fruit an talked with the local people about all kind of things. We looked at the fishing boats coming in and already know we are in love with cambodia. We have never seen such kind people as the Cambodian people. They suffered so much, but still they are kind to everyone, not pushing, just talking because they really care.

Tip Sihanoukville: A friend of Jan started a village so children will have an education. Take a visit to this village.

Phnom Penh • Banlung: We have to drive back to Phnom Penh where we visit an other market and take dinner at Friends again.

Monks
The next day we go to Banlung by plane. It's an old russian plane. The group before ours crached with a same kind of plane. They all survived! :)

On the airport (nothing more than a tenniscourt and an old house) are many children, they are just walking there where the plane will land. Our guesthouse in the jungle is not ready yet so we will stay in a chinese hotel. Really beautifull but we hoped we would sleep in the junglelodges. Nevermind. We deciced to walk to the vulcaniclake, it' s one hour walking but verry hot. The nature is beautyfull, the farmers are poor...but again verry gentle and kind.

At 5.00 in the morning I am walking with a friend to the local market. (My husband is still sleeping) We are the only tourists on this market. Many people from the mountains come to this place to sell their vedgetables and meat.

Our way of traveling...

At 7.00 in the morning we are starting our 2 day walk through the jungle. Two local guids are with us to lead us and showing us the tribe living here. I am only 25 years old but they all think I am 30!!! Hm... The jungle is so hot but beautyfull. On the end of the day we arrived the village of a tribe where we will stay for the night. First, they don't want to let us beacuse they are busy with some ritual. No photo's or they will kill us. Ok... We need to take a shower at a small river. All the boys from the village are looking at us, we are not used to take a shower on their way. We are wearing the same as them but still it' s strange. We have dinner in the darkness, only some fires outside are burning. We have to sleep two meters above the ground, the cows stayed under us during the night. I was able to took at them as I layed on the bamboo.

The others of our group
I did not sleeped that night. It was to great to sleep, I wanted to enjoy the jungle at night and look at the stars as I never seen them so bright.

We walked back in the cold morning. A few hours I walked alone. The other are tired, I'm only thirsty. I the next village they will pick us up and bring us to the jungle lodges.

Our stay in the jungle lodges is relaxing, only the verry big spiders are creepy. In our room (a few wooden plated bind together) was toke. My god they can make some noise!!!

Rattanakiri: After a trip of 8 hours in the back of a pick up we arrived Rattanakiri. We are all dirty and orange because of the bad road and dust. But after a shower we are all clean again. In the morning we make an elephant trip.

Sihanoukville
I was concerned of them, they look so bad an tired! My husband and a friend start walking because the animals were to tired to clime back on the hill. I don't think I want to sit on an elephant again, It didn't felt right in this case.

It' s 4.00 in the morning and a wedding is starting with a lot of music. We can't sleep anymore so go outside. The owner of the guesthouse, a +/- 40 year old women, is joining us and making tea. She likes my hair and ringwatch and is doing my hair.

Stung Treng: Again 8 painfull hours to go. We can't breath in the back because we are driving 100 km/h. But we enjoy it! In Stung Treng we ate some pancakes with nutella and looked at the river. We also visited the local market. In every place we visit them. On some motorbikes we make some small trips all together.

Monks on the beach

Kratie: On our way to Kratie we saw the dolphins and made some trips again. There is a female motordriver in Kratie, she is famous! We had a great time with her and her boys. They showed us lovely places. Next to the hotel was a temple with monks. We visited them and talked with them. They seemed to be really nice but in the evening we were not sure anymore. The invited us and our friends to join their pray but when we arrived the were smoking and making a lot of noise. We are not sure they were drank but it was time to go.

Phnom Penh • Battambang: We drive back to Phnom Penh by bus. The chinese people built a bridge and a good road. They are still working on it but we can traffel a faster.

Our guide during traveling
We take one more look at Phnom Penh, we began to love this city. Especially the mornings. When it is quit on the streets you can suddenly hear the monks singing. After that, the first motor is driving through the streets and in a few minutes suddenly there are hundreds of motors on the streets again.

We arrive Battambang in the afternoon. With some new motorboys we are driving along the area. We visit some beautyfull places and are driving through small villages in the jungle. We love it. With our motors we are going on an illegal railway-float to the next village. There is only one train-rail and when the train arrived against us we have to hurry and take off our float of the rails. This is great!

Siem Reap: Finally we are going to Seam Reap!!! We are going by boat through the Tonle Sap lake.

My two friends
We have a boat for our little group, we have the time, no hurry, just relax and enjoy the floating villages. In the afternoon we arrive Siem Reap. Of course we are going to Angkor Wat immediately. We want to see the sunset. The first time I saw Angkor Wat I was in love immediately, I never saw such a beautyfull place. But to be honest, the temple of Preah Khan is much more beautyfull to me. The next day we asked a tuktuk-driver to drive us the whole day. We started with the sunrise in Ankor Wat, saw the morning star climbing through the towers up to the skie where it disapaers. After that we took some breakfast with our driver and saw the other temples.

Preah Khan is the most wonderfull temple. I felt home here, really. Maybe it was because of all the temples made me a bit spiritual, but I just love it the most.

Yummie!

The next day we visited Angkor Wat again, this time we drove the big route. Again everything was great. In the evening we drove back and bought our last souvenirs on the market. After having dinner all together in The Red Piano, we had to pack our bags.

Tip Siem Reap: I don't have to tell you, take 4 days at least to visit Angkor Wat! Don't miss the small temples as they are worth it.

Amsterdam: As we were laying on bed we both stared at the seeling, not saying anything. Most times I liked to go home again but this time was different. We saw so many things here, met so many nice people, saw so many poor people also. I tell my husband I don' t want to go home. He also want to stay. We decided to turn back in 10 years, maybe a bit later, to join a project and help the cambodian people. Cambodia is poor, but beautyfull. We have never met so many kind people, we really want to return, someday.

CL_smooth says:
Wow... I can't wait to go!
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008
Aopaq says:
I was glad to read about your concern for the elephants. My understanding is that carrying passengers is hard on their backs as they are not designed to carry loads in that manner. It is also very sad to see how young elephants are "trained" and their spirits broken. I learned this after visiting the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand (a sanctuary and rescue centre for Thai elephants).
Posted on: Dec 23, 2007
milltownmeadow says:
It's a great place I love it there!
I am going back myself Jan 10th.
Posted on: Dec 22, 2007
Royal palace - Phnom Penh
A bit unsharp but still beautiful.…
A bit unsharp but still beautiful…
I didnt try them...
I didn't try them...
Cambodia Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
During our visit in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, we ate many times at the restaurant Friends (Mith Samlanh). It's a project to help street children all over … read entire review
470 km (292 miles) traveled