fish fest

Paranagua Travel Blog

wonderful water slides
We took the train to the beach that never was. The 5½-hour train from Curitiba was amazing. It was definitely a tourist train that we were using to get to the beach, but realized that the train was the point of the trip. The view was amazing. We traveled next a beautiful mountain range and saw clouds settling in the valley. We were on a way to heaven, or already in it. Once we reached the destination, I already knew it wasn’t a destination. Half the day was already over, and it was enough for me. But we were trying to get to the water, so try we did. We were told how to get there, but realized later that we were being told how to get to the bus station that goes to Ilse de Mel the most beautiful island where the beaches are that we never saw.
the fish fest later that night
So we tried. And failed. It was an hour and a half ride longer to get to the beach. So instead we ate at an ice cream buffet and crashed a hotel pool with water slides. Yeah it’s a hard life. When the day at the beach fails, a water park falls into your lap. While half of us were deciding that this wasn’t what we came here for, the other half of us realized that it was just what we needed, a day of not knowing what’s going to happen. Yeah I love the beach, I was born on it… literally. But yesterday was amazing even if we never got there. The remainder of us who stayed stumbled across a Sunday fair that I’m learning is all too common in Brasil. I don’t know if its so much a hippie fair because there aren’t tourists. I forgot to mention. The tourist part of the day stopped with the train. There was little to no tourism at this place. There are some hotels that may be a little busy during the season, but this was not the case now. There were no internet cafes, which seems to be the universal sign for tourist hangout. No internet period minus the one computer that we used at our water-wonderland. Back to the Sunday fair. Not a hippie fair because of the lack of local hippies, but still a fair for goods and jewelry and crocheted stuff. But the food! We were in the middle of a fish festival. There were at least a dozen stalls of different communities, churches, neighborhoods, we don’t even know what, that all cooked the same thing. Huge roasted fish that’s cooked over a grill stuffed and wrapped in foil, served with rice, salad, potato salad, cerveja, and oysters. Commo? Amazing! We stuffed our faces and glanced longingly at the music stage that teased us. We were to take a bus back to Curitiba before the performance would begin. I wanted so much to stay the night in this small town where I felt that we were involved in what was going on. Being there was so much more different. There wasn’t much to do as far as far as tourist attractions, but there was a fair there for the locals. I wish I could have stayed for at least a few days. I highly recommend the tourist train and probably a few day trip to the island that I never made it to… at least this week. I’m sure I’ll be on the Island of Honey soon in this lifetime.
Paranagua