The World Cup in Brazil

Curitiba Travel Blog

Being able to be a part of the World Cup experience for the first time in a participating foreign country has been absolutely amazing. Both Argentina and Brazil are playing in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

We were in Argentina for their game but we did get to see their practice game and witness the country prepare for the event. However, in Brazil we have seen first hand what it is little to be apart of the World Cup. I have watched Brazil play with other Brazilians and have rejoiced with them.

Also I have seen them celebrate in the streets, set off fireworks, sing and dance after their victories. In Iguazu Falls after their win over Japan, we say the police close off certain streets to accommodate for all the fans partying and celebrating all over the barzinho areas of the city.  This same night a group of us went out to this area and joined in the celebration.  I saw yellow and green jerseys everywhere, as well as, many painted faces and guys wearing the national flag.  They truly do celebrate and get completely involved in their national team as they compete for the World Cup.

Cities seem to nearly shut down during their matches and become ghost towns because everyone is inside watching.  Participating with the locals in Brazil and with our Argentine companions during the 2006 World Cup has been both very exciting and eye opening to the world of football.  It is very interesting to take part in and has taught me a lot about their societies, economies and cultures.