New apartment

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Yesterday was a wet one here in Buenos Aires.  There was a lite rain falling all day in the city.  Fortunately, it did not affect mine or Lauren´s plans at all, considering we only wanted to sleep after dancing all night on Saturday.  We did find the energy to leave the comfort of our beds for dinner at a nearby restaurant with our friend Manuel.  He is one of the owners of the hostel Antico that we are staying at in the barrio San Telmo.  Manuel´s ability to speak English is on par with our ability to speak Spanish... es un poquito.  But fortunately the conversation flowed easily throughout the evening.  I´ve come to the realization that we all have the ability to communicate with each other, even if we don´t speak the same languages.  We talked about our brothers, sisters, and parents... how old they are, their occupations.  We talked about traveling and shared short stories or antecdotes from our experiences.  We talked about his 3 year old son, Teo, and how he is,¨el corazon de Manuel¨.  We drank and ate and had a wonderful time.

Today, Lauren and I went to meet the realtor about moving in to the apartment they showed us this past Friday.  Lauren is my good friend from Santa Barbara who has been traveling with me since Feburaury.  The apartment is located near Avenida de Mayo in the barrio Microcentro.  It´s a furnished apartment with wood floors, two single beds, a bathroom, a kitchen, heatingp/air, and a tv.  The price is affordable for us right now, but with out finding work in Buenos Aires it will be impossible for us to stay there for more than a month.  We paid our deposit this morning and have decided to move in a week from today.  It´s nice to have a familiar place to come home to when you are traveling abroad.  In Melbourne, Australia I shared a room with my other friend, also named Lauren, above a bar called the Barleycorn for two months.  The bar had live music 6 days a week, and our room was located directly above the stage.  Unfortunately the bands were mostly unexperienced kids trying to gain practice and exposure, or horrible cover bands comprised of  ¨burn outs¨ trying to continue their dream of becomig a rock star.  Needless to say the music, at the Barleycorn sucked.  But the owner and landlord, Neil, was a good man who enjoyed running his establishment and worked hard at it.  The best part about staying there was becoming friends with the people we lived with.  Seeing the same smiling faces every day, making dinner with them, sharing stories and laughs... they became our family in Melbourne.  Especially the Irish boys... I will always keep a place for them in my heart.  It´s amazing how fast you can make a sincere connection with someone in a short amount of time.  Overall, the comfort of having a permanent dwelling while you travel only enhances the entire experience. Those feelings are what I look forward to with our apartment in Buenos Aires.

travelman727 says:
Have a great time in BA! You'll quickly learn to eat dinner at 10:30 p.m. and to prepare mate with the best!
Posted on: Jun 26, 2006