Coffs Harbour - A windy city

Coffs Harbour Travel Blog

Coffs Harbour YHA

After waking up early in the Coffs Harbour YHA I have my vitamine supplies for breakfast: 3 oranges, 4 kiwis and one banana.

After that I walk to the beach and climb Moreton Bird Island. The wind blows like crazy and even the birds seem to struggle in the stiff breeze.

I’m thinking of Bob Dylan:

How many roads must a man walk down

Before you call him a man?

Yes, ‘n how many seas must a white dove sail

Before she sleeps in the sand?

Yes, ‘n how many times must the cannon balls fly

Before they´re forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin in the wind,

The answer is blowin in the wind.

Moreton Bird Island

After fake wind surfing I leave the island and the harbour (Coff’s Harbour - who is Coff? Was he a Toff?)

On my way to the city centre a chubby girl is lying on the pavement, her face contorted with pain. She obviously twisted her ankle. All her girlfriends are standing around her and finally call mommy.

The centre of Coffs Harbour is boring as can be, so I walk back to the hostel. Another evening with beers from the liquor store and many games of pool. What else is there to do in Coffs Harbour?!

I’m in a dorm with three Americans from Chicago. They seem to like Coffs Harbour and have been here for a whole week. It begins to dawn on me that it might be because of the wind…

In the corridor Julia from Berlin is chatting with Germany on the phone. After that she chats with me. She has a great smile and beams like a nuclear power plant. After some small talk she says she would love to see me again later.

Moreton Bird Island

A Danish couple and I drink our provisions of beer and play pool. When this gets too boring I go to the lounge and talk to two 18-year-old Dutch guys who remind me of Beavis & Butthead: “Huhuh, cool!”

A bit later Julia comes to the lounge as well, totally pissed. She had too much red wine. After exchanging a few words with me, her speech slurred by the alcohol, she goes outside to have a cigarette. But she doesn’t return, instead she disappears with one of the windy Chicago guys for a little amorous tête-à-tête.

An hour later I open the door to my room quietly, making sure not to disturb this new German-American co-production. I go to bed and dream of floating high in the sky.

Yes ‘n how many times can a man turn his head,

Pretending he just doesn’t see?

The answer, my friend, is blowin in the wind,

The answer is blowin in the wind.

Vikram says:
What were you doing in Aus for a year btw? Backpacking, or on a work or study assignment?
Posted on: Mar 27, 2010
newtampo says:
Hahaha see I was right! :) (about the ending of the journal!) :P ok, so you're old - you know this song! :D
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009