2 days in Port Macquarie with high skies and many stamps in my face

Port Macquarie Travel Blog

8 July 2005

The Ozzie Pozzie Hostel in Port Macquarie is a beautiful little place to stay with a nice backyard framed by palm trees and small cottages arranged in a circle around it.

After checking in and checking out the hammocks I immediately start my discovery tour of the city. I feel like on a holiday • only nicer. The tiny harbour is sweet, the sky high and the horizon infinite. Walking along the coast I stop at several lookouts and beaches to cool my feet. I’m walking and walking and what looks like a rather small place on my map turns out to be quite far-scattered.

Port Macquarie
All the houses seem like thrown down here and lack fences and pavewalks. Walking on the grass past big mailboxes makes me feel like in small-town America. Port Macquarie looks as if somebody played “Sim City” and designed this town.

Back at the hostel I get involved in a drinking game. In order to win you have to collect four cards of the same colour and then bang them on the table. Whoever slams down ones deck last has to drink a glass of bottom shelf liquor. In addition to that you get a stamp banged into your face with a heated wine cork.

Around 11pm a group of 10 people leaves the hostel with 50 stamps in their faces and heads for “Roxy’s”, a so-called nightclub, the place to be in Port Macquarie.

On the flyer it said “the best of the 70s and 80s” but the DJ plays mostly Black and HipHop.

Port Macquarie
Since I’m neither a gangster nor drunk enough I don’t dance but instead start a conversation with Sarah from Ireland. She has red hair as most Irish girls, wears a long mint green sequined skirt, a white sleeveless top and a dark-green waistcoat. In case you wonder: No, it’s not St. Patrick’s Day.

Sarah calls me Mickey and thinks I’m “lovely” immediately putting a smoochy on my stamped forehead. We drink and drink and play pool. The winner stays on the table and we manage to survive for five rounds. Around 2am Sarah is hungry. So before we head back home we eat some chips with lemon juice, a ton of salt and a barrel of vinegar. Then we stagger back to the hostel and fall into our beds (seperately).

9 July 2005

I awake at noon without having a hangover.

high sky
The vinegar must have done some good to my liver. I head for Woolworths to get some breakfast: A salad, strawberries and half a litre of milk. While enjoying this at the harbour a woman walks and says enthusiastically: “Hey, that’s a healthy lunch!”. Just like that. This is the moment I fall in love with Australia and its people.

After this refreshment I go for a walk in Settlement City, a residential area purpose-built for senior citizens. After strolling around for a couple of hours gazing at the endlessly high sky I walk back to Ozzie Pozzie to enjoy yukky canned spaghetti. Before vomitting I talk to two Dutch girls. They look very similar but assure me they are not even distantly related. One is more beautiful than the other but not as talkative.

Around 10pm I head for Subway to have a sandwich.

inside "Roxy's"
Since I’m not tired yet and don’t know what else to do I check out “Roxy’s” again. At the beginning I just sit around by myself but as always in Australia it doesn’t take long until some people walk up to me and start talking. This time it’s two heavy-weight sisters from Port Macquarie, Holly and Kelly, who make my ears bleed saying things like “I love your accent”. Holly talks in a blaring manner but Kelly is even fatter. I act as if they didn’t annoy me and allow them to squash me between them. Then Mick, a somewhat slow-witted hillbilly comes along, asks the two ladies for a dance and off they wobble. Watching them doing their thing on the dancefloor I’m reminded of a lava lamp.

I drink about five or six beer and smoke even more cigarettes.  Then I leave the disco, later the hostel and even later Port Macquarie.

newtampo says:
Haha always ended up the day with girls, nice! Ok I'm joking. :) Btw, the drinking card game sounds nice.
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009
the_bloodsucker says:
great pics! =D
Posted on: Jun 17, 2008
Morle says:
Hi David!
Yes, the locals were indeed quite friendly to me, lol :-)
Posted on: Jan 26, 2008