My First Try

Quezon City Travel Blog

the set

1 vs. 100 is a game show created by Endemol that is aired in several countries. Here in the Philippines, it is shown by top TV network ABS CBN. The game pits one person against 100 othersm called the "mob" for a chance to win a large cash prize.

It was saturday when I got a call from one of the staff of the show. I was advised that I will be part of the mob for the show's New Year's episode.  The taping was set on December 10 at 7PM. Luckily, it did not conflict any of my schedule so it was all Go. More than that, I know it's going to be one hell of an exciting experience that I should try.

I was in the studio 30 minutes before the set call time. The staff were all friendly who even prepared dinner for us while waiting for the game.

the briefing
We shared the meal all together. After the dinner at Gerry's Grill, we stayed in the set of Deal or No Deal, another popular gameshow here in the Philippines, which served as the waiting area. Then, we proceeded to the set of 1 vs. 100 after an hour.

I was assigned the number 92. Well, there was a warm up game first. They asked easy and difficult questions so we'd experience both winning and losing. They carefully explained the game mechanics and prizes as well. Then came the show host Edu Manzano. Such a funny and gentle man. This means, all's set and the game proper will begin. He introduced "The 1"-- Rico Puno, one of Philippines well-known balladeers in the 80's. Another funny guy.

Question number 1--- Five mobs were eliminated. Fortunately, I was familiar with the question.

95 of us remained.

Question number 2--- I honestly wasn't sure of my answer. The question has something to do with the song copacabanna. Gosh... i just heard the somng once and i am not at all familiar with the lyrics. I just picked letter "C". I was then  ready to lose, conditioning my mind that "it's okay and it's the experience that counts." When Edu revealed the answer, which was letter "C", i unintentionally shouted for joy. What a lucky guess! Lol. Good news, 55 mobs were eliminated. Not so good news, Rico got the correct answer.

Question number 3--- Politics, one of my favorite topics. Not that I am interested with this field, but here in Manila, Politics is one favorite topic for group conversations and debates. Therefore, I survived this question. Three or four mobs got elimitaed.

Question number 4--- Showbiz. The question was about one of the casts of Big Brother Philippines who happened to be one of my favorites. I held on. =)

Question number 5--- Filipino terminologies. I just love our national languagae that needless to say, my answer was correct. ;-)

Question number 6--- General Knowledge. I guess all contestants who've gone to school would know what 'form 138" is. Nobody got eliminated.

Then came question number 7--- Original Pinoy Music (OPM). The question was about the last word in one of the most popular OPMs of all time. Sure I was familiar with the song since I was a kid and up to now, the song is still aired in some radio stations. To my surprise, Rico didnt know the answer, much to the delight of the remaining 29 mobs including me.  Rico has saved atleast Php170,000 which will be divided amongst us. =)

One of the "Unbeatables" i am now. We will be taping again for the next episode soon.

This is not all about winning the prize money. This is one experience I will surely never forget. =)

the_bloodsucker says:
eloise: nahiya naman ako.. hahaha!
Posted on: Dec 28, 2007
the_bloodsucker says:
hahahaha! nagkataon lang na mejo familiar sa questions, byiang! =)
Posted on: Dec 28, 2007
Angelouisa says:
Ipagpapaliban ko ang grade 5 bukas. :)
Posted on: Dec 27, 2007