David, the perfect man

Florence Travel Blog

Could I myself believe that finally seeing Michelangelo's David was real?  We stood in line for hours, as the Roma attempted to get away with our belongings.  As we were finally escorted into the Galleria Accademia, I spied the giant at the end of the corridor.  At least 15 feet tall, the mass of people that swarmed around him, adored him, seemed miniscule.  I walked around him for so many times, catching every angle.  His muscles taut, perfect, immaculate.  Down to the veins, that were rich with blood, in his hands.  The lights cast a warm hue, that seemed to fill the cold marble with warmth and life.  Such beauty one rarely sees.  So many unfinished works, where one could see that Michelangelo's talents lay in freeing the form from the marble that bound it inside.

Second only to St.

Peter's basilica in Rome, the Duomo in Florence is perhaps the most beautiful church I have ever seen.  We were reminded of looking at an immaculate conception of ginger bread houses, almost good enough to eat.  The exterior was laden with so many statues of the saints, that our eyes dared not venture inside.  Rapture.  How man, so many centuries ago, found the technology, to erect such splendour.  It seems that there once was a time when man was closer to heaven on earth.  How else can i describe it?  I am shocked that not everyone in the photograph is staring in rapt attention.  I am only sorry that I did not have days to spend there...

travelman727 says:
I know how you feel! I'd love to live in Tuscany for a year. The art, the history, the wine...Italy has it all!
Posted on: Jul 14, 2006