EuropeItalyRome

All roads lead to Rome

Rome Travel Blog

I stepped from the train and back into time.  Time had stood still for centuries...So ancient, yet abuzz with scooters and buses.  The coliseum awaited us, and we could barely contain our excitement, knowing we would see a place where gladiators used to batttle.  The Roman Forum was scattered all around us.  Ruins were all that remained of the once grand and reputable buildings of government.  I wished for all the time in the world to study every column, to feel the very foundations.  We played with the many cats that perced amidst the grand walls, and decided to head into the smallest country in the world, the Vatican.

What could prepare us for what would possibly be the most grandiose display of piety?  The Ceilings of St.

Peter's were so high that we felt we were falling.  Tombs, angels, gold, and marvelous paintings were in rich overabundance, depicting the glory of the almighty.  It made me weep, so overcome.  My fingers played with the cool marble columns, as my eyes danced high above to the angels frolicking amidst the golden beams and lofty cupolas.

Eventually, my eyes caught sight of the Pieta.  That marvel of Michelangelo's with the array of folds and pleats, the soft tension of the muscles, and the most humble expression seen on a mother's face.  Although photography was prohibited,the click and flash was constant.  I

We took a tour of the Vatican where we were guided along miles of halls and rooms filled with treasures and maps from the world over.  Eventually we arrived at our final destination, the small chapel where a genius went blind with his life's greatest testament of faith, the Sistine Chapel.  No one can describe such beauty, such passion. From floor to ceiling, the entire creation of man, the Resurrection, Judgement, are pictured here. A sibyl sits in each corner, one holding her book of prophesies.  The bodies of both male and female have this unique androginy, possessing the strength and softness of both sexes.  Two theories exist about this style unique to Michelangelo.  Androginy was either a symbol of the Divine, or the artist never used females in his studies.

Nonetheless, I had to cry again.  This place, this city, it is too much. What people were capable of, so long ago, how they toiled, how they died for their passions.

Rome General Tips & Advice review
For those enchanted by the renaissance, the glory and opulence of the Roman Catholic church, ancient architechture of Romans, splendour and grandeur, … read entire review
Rome