The Ossuary

Kutna Hora Travel Blog

in the ossuary
I first heard of Prague some years ago watching some Halloween magic show on TV where the magician went to Prague and played a bunch of tricks on unsuspecting tourists and such. During the show he also went to the Ossuary in Kutna Hora, from that moment i knew someday I wanted to go to Prague, and I wanted to see this 'Bone Church'.
Getting onto the bus in Prague bound for Kutna Hora, I spotted a Coopers sparkling ale badge on a bag, and knew that I was in the presence of someone from home. So on the bumpy bus ride through withering sunflower fields and small rural towns we got to know Chris and his Japanese girl, who in turn told us about www.hospitalityclub.org thankyou so much Kurisu :)
The family who owned this particular Church in Kutna Hora, decided to have it decorated with all the surplus bones that the Black Plague had provided, and signed up a humble carpenter for the job. The chandelier in the center of the four large piles of skulls, is said to contain one of every bone from the human body... upon hearing this, I wondered at how the three tiny bones inside your ear could be incorporated into such a chandelier.
The little bubby angels holding skulls is a particularly nice touch in my opinion!
hannajax says:
i saw this church in "the long way round," where ewan mc gregor and his best friend go around the world on their BMW motorbikes. it looks so fascinating!
Posted on: Jul 12, 2006
The Ossuary exterior
The Ossuary exterior
pile o bones
pile o' bones
this chandelier is said to contain…
this chandelier is said to contai…
contemporary wall hangings