Rocky Start ~ From New York to Vancouver

New York Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 10 › view all entries

Saturday, June 11, 2005, the day of of my departure for one of my dream destinations was finally here. I woke up feeling much better this morning than I did the night before.  I took a nice hot shower, got dressed, and was in my taxi on may way to JFK airport. Though I was still running a slight fever of 100, nothing, and I mean nothing, was going to stop me from taking this trip, a cruise to Alaska, via the inside passage with Royal Caribbean aboard the ship the Radiance of the Seas. 

Let me backtrack a little. Two days prior to my departure date, after eating some bad sushi, I ended up, yes, with a bad case of food poisoning.  It hit me hard, of all places, in the nail salon as I was getting my manicure and pedicure before my trip. I was sitting under the nail dryer, when all of a sudden, I started feeling clammy and very nauseous, and then my stomach starting cramping. I rushed and made it into the bathroom in the salon just in the nick of time as I started to violently throw up. Yuck.... I felt so sick. When I came out, Sue, the manager of the salon, took one look at my face and said, oh Debbie, you need to go home and lay down. By that time, I was a nice shade of green alternating with gray.  As soon as I got out of the salon, I jumped into a cab. Someone up there must have been looking out for me because to be able to get a cab that quick during rush hour in NYC is simply just a miracle. I was so sick all night. The next morning, I had to call my job and tell them I wasn't coming in because I was sick. Oh yea, that looked good, calling out sick on my last day at work before my vacation started.  That morning I called my doctor and she told me to take some Pepto Bismol which would help with the bacteria in my system and basically that I had to let this pass through my system. All that day I was sick to my stomach and was laying in bed (when I wasn't running to the bathroom) shivering with chills from the fever. My sister called and the first thing she said was "there is no way you're going to be able to leave for your trip". I responded "watch me".  Even if I had to drag myself and chin my way across the floor at JFK, I was going to make it.

So there I was in my cab on my way to JFK, running a fever of 100, to catch my flight to Salt Lake City Utah and from there connect to my flight to Vancouver. I didn't eat much that day except for a bagel and some tea at the Starbucks in JFK. By the time I landed at the airport in Vancouver and found my way to the transfer bus to the ship, I was beat. 

sheba124 says:
Oh trust me, there was no way I would have cancelled them and missed this trip
Posted on: Jan 03, 2008
kingelvis14 says:
I'm glad you didn't have to cancel your plans.
Posted on: Jan 03, 2008
sheba124 says:
Nothing stops me...
Posted on: Dec 11, 2007
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
New York
photo by: herman_munster