A frenzy of activity

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Matt, my friend Helen and Sean
Matt's last day was kind of frenetic. We packed a lot of disparate things into one day, starting off with a brunch with my posh friend Helen. She's known as the "black widow" of the hedge fund world, hahaha =) Just kidding. Well, sort of. We met up with her and her boyfriend at Catch, but it turned out to be closed. We were still able to be seated by the window in the main dining area for some breakfast, which was very nice. After a somewhat intimidating chat with Helen (heck even I'm intimidated by her), we set off for a walk on the boardwalk and laughed, strolled and people watched. Apparently it was World Laughter Day or something of the sort, and Matt remarked that the huge gang of people laughing uncontrollably could be what TB meetups eventually dissolve into =)

Near the pier, I was jonesing for some lemonade and I spotted a Hot Dog on a Stick, which though cheesy is the perfect little snack place if only it weren't staffed by complete morons on this visit.
Matt trying Hot Dog on a Stick for the first time!
I made Matt try the lemonade and the corn dog and we strolled around a little more, watching hot people play volleyball in their little bikinis and just generally trying to convince Matt that he would fit right in, in Los Angeles.

Matt chilled out a little by the pool, which he hadn't previously visited and was unfortunately unable to find a spot in the sun. Despite how hip and decked out the Viceroy is, there are a few details - such as the lack of sun in the pool area that makes it frustrating. A very hip-hop crowd had reserved one of the cabanas in the corner and we people watched some more.

I dragged Matt to Shik Do Rak, which is my favorite Korean food place of all time.
Mstt's first foray poolside @ Viceroy
I love eating KBBQ with duk (rice paper) because it gives it a nice texture and the owner of this establishment is one of the few that are actually nice to non-koreans. I think I've brought in over 3 dozen new faces over the last 5 years. And yes, if you visit LA, I will bring you as well. =)

We stuffed ourselves and I made Matt try the fermented soy bean soup (Teng Jang Jigee) which is one of my all time favorite dishes but obviously very pungent and strong-tasting. It didn't agree with Matt and he stuck with the BBQ but was brave enough to eat Kimchi and other spicy pan-chan dishes. If he comes back in the summertime, I'll also grab Rob and we'll go eat Mool Neng Myun, which is also an amazing summertime dish and one of Rob's favorites.

We then left to pick up Nhi, who made us wait 30 minutes outside in graffiti gang-land outside her apartment but it was all worth it in the end because she had on the cutest outfit with a flared 50's style skirt.
Korean BBQ
  We went to meet up with Joy and Rob @ Tantra after being rejected from Vinoteca as they wouldn't give us a table unless we ordered food. That place is quickly moving up my shit list. We were all tired, but happy and content and cracking lots of jokes about the YMCA party going on in the lounge full of cute gayboys! We tried a few dishes but I think in terms of quality the wine far exceeded the food. Who ever heard of papadam being made without spices?! And before we knew it, Matt had to leave and hugs and kisses went all around.

Mattie, we hope you come back to us soon! You belong here in every sense of the word!
pvtjoy says:
Where are the photos of you Jennifer? I must have them on my camera! :)
Posted on: May 06, 2008
Matt, my friend Helen and Sean
Matt trying Hot Dog on a Stick for…
Matt trying Hot Dog on a Stick fo…
Mstts first foray poolside @ Vice…
Mstt's first foray poolside @ Vic…
Joy and Rob @ Tantra