The road ahead

Ashgabat Travel Blog

Following in the footsteps of Marco Polo by reliving the past of the Silk Roads from Syria to China, going upstream the mighty Mekong from Vietnam all the way to Tibet, see the roof of the world from there I will wander to mysterious India.

My iternary is made up of  four major parts;

• Silk Road; Syria (Damascus starting point of my "Silk Road"), South-East Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kirgistan and China (Xi'an the end of my "Silk Road")
  • China
  • Mekong Route; Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, China, Tibet
  • Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar
  • India

An alternative iternary could be:

• China and Tibet
  • Mekong Route; Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand
  • Myanmar, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sikkim, Nepal
  • India

I still haven't decided yet, it really depends on wheter I will visit Tibet while I'm in China. The first would be just great to see the Mighty Mekong in Vietnam flow into the ocean all the way up to a mere stream in Tibet. Downside is that I could find myself backtracking and possibly take airplanes which is not really "overlanding". The second route would give me a more or less straight forward route with the minimum of backtracking.

hyo says:
hehehe I guess it is but it did help me organise my visas etc on time without loosing out on too much fun on the road!
Posted on: Mar 23, 2008
bluemarbletreader says:
The most methodical approach to travel I have ever seen. It's like a solar powered travelbot decided to explore South East Asia....
Posted on: Mar 21, 2008
RainyDayToast says:
WOW. So jealous right now, what an awesome trip. I'm about to read it, better than any travel book ;)
Posted on: Mar 22, 2007