Ansel Adams

Washington Travel Blog

Loop

After some time haggling, Becky, Ken, and I headed into DC on the Green line Metro to see the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Corcoran Art Museum.  The 17th St exit was closed at Farragut North, so we took the long route to get the museum.  Once there, we headed upstairs towards the special exhibit.  At the landing Loop, a unique exhibit with colored lights and music centered around a statue of Venus, diverted our attention for a few minutes before continuing up the steps.

I loved the Ansel Adams exhibit.  Starting with some of his earliest works--taken in his teenage years--it displayed works created over several decades.  The rooms were set up by theme: Native Americans, New York, New Mexico to name a few.  My favorite room was the one showing his photos of Yosemite National Park.

a Pisarro
  He had some amazing shots of the valley.  I loved the one with clouds hanging low in the sky but Bridalveil Falls managed to catch a single ray of light.  Other favorite photos:

• the shadows on Half Moon in Yosemite
  • Old Faithful erupting
  • a close-up of a rose on a piece of driftwood
  • the moon rising over a small New Mexican town
  • a series of waves breaking onto the sand

After walking through this exhibit, we quickly browsed the European landscapes before catching lunch two blocks away at Caribou Cafe.  We then walked in front of the White House where a group was filming some sort of musical number in the street.  A few phone calls later we managed to locate the other two members of our group (Randy and Beth who came into DC after us) at Teaism for afternoon refreshments.

a Monet
White House
Christmas wreath at White House
Christmas wreath at White House
Washington Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Teaism is a Japanese restaurant with three locations in DC; I have now visited two of them and enjoyed the experience both times. The 8th St. locatio… read entire review