Fritzel's and Hurricanes on Bourbon St.

New Orleans Travel Blog

A friend suggested two things: visit Fritzel's--it's the only authentic European Jazz bar on Bourbon St.--and try a Hurricane.  I decided to knock both out in one shot.  I headed to Fritzel's last night with two friends.  A small dive with a great jazz band playing made it an attractive choice.  Lisa and I both ordered a Hurricane.

I'm the curious type, I like to know what's going in my drink so I carefully watched as the bartender poured in each ingredient: Aristocrat Rum, red Hurricane mix, and something called 190 Clear Gem.  As he poured in the 190 Clear Gem (quite liberally, I add) he held up the bottle and flashed a smile.  He had the look that says "this is good shit."  Lisa leaned over and asked "does that mean it's 190 proof?"  I thought this was a ridiculous question, obviously nothing is 190 proof, right?  Wrong!  It sure was.

Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
  And so 190 proof rum liberally went into our drinks.

You'd think we'd be finished drinking after one Hurricane.  Not me!  After Frizel's we headed down the street to Blacksmiths.  I ordered another.  Lafitte's Blacksmith shop is a very interesting place.  It is one of the few remaining buildings in the French Quarter that has original French architecture.  After the devastating fires of 1788 and 1794, the Blacksmith Shop was one of the few surviving structures.  Today it is a favorite tourist spot and local bar.  I must admit I've been in better bars, but there is something eerie about its dark atmosphere and chill that isn't like any other Bourbon St. bar.

After Blacksmiths we headed to Yo Mama and I ordered a Mint Julep.  I realized at Yo Mama that I was in trouble: it was two in the morning and I was still tasting the alcohol.  That can only mean one thing.. compromising photos.

hannajax says:
i had the best hurricane at the desire oyster bar, and i was nearly floored after that experience. i am a big fan, and no one makes them like the bars in new orleans.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2006
travelman727 says:
We used to call 190 proof alcohol (95 percent) - Everclear...or powerful moonshine!
Posted on: Jun 29, 2006