Bangkok – Chiang Rai – Chiang Khong

Chiang Khong Travel Blog

View from Guesthouse

They say the world is getting smaller. After the almost 24 hour journey from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Bangkok, Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong I would say it’s still pretty big.

The guesthouse in Chiang Khong was located at the riverside of the Mekong. The river functions as the border between Thailand and Laos and from my room window I could see Laos at the other side.  I was determined to stay awake as long as possible, so I would get used to the new time zone right away.

I felt dead tired, but I forced myself to check out the place. Chiang Khong seemed to serve just 1 purpose;  a steppingstone to Laos. After walking up and down the main street twice & stocking some provisions I really couldn’t think of anything else to do and when I went back to my room to drop of the water& snacks the bed looked so tempting I couldn’t hold it any longer. I thought there would be no harm in lying down  for just a couple of minutes.

I woke up 3 hours later. Dinner at the guesthouse was exactly the same as lunch: Soup, rice & vegetables.

Having slept for a couple of hours I was now right awake, so I went for a beer with 2 Belgium guys who would be on the same trekking as I was. We were the only people at the bar, which didn’t stop us from having too much beers and staying up to late.

Laos at the other side of the river