Kaikoura, New Zealand

Kaikoura Travel Blog

At last - some blue skies!! We checked out of the Villa but not before l went shopping in the little gift store l saw the amazing ceramics and souviners in! I ran off leaving Paul to talk to that Scottish bloke who l decided was in love with the sound of his own voice and his own opinions!!

So our first plan was to visit a couple more wineries (yay for me l wasnt driving today!) so we went on the look out for Mudhouse - after driving about for 15 minutes we stopped at a place that seemed like it was right but there was no mention of Mudhouse on signage or on the shelves.

The lady inside informed us that they had moved down to Cantabury - bugger! So we stayed and had a tasting any way (it would be rude to leave!) we bought a bottle of wine and the lovely lovely lady told us of where to stop for coffee and where to see fur seals too!

We then headed up to St Clair Winery - this was lovely - a lovely out door garden to sit and have a meal and drink our wine! The St Clair wines - gold medal winners were delicious! We grabbed a bottle of the Pinot to bring home and a bottle of the SB to drink later :)

Then we made a final stop in the Marlbourough region at a chocolate factory - l gotta recommend the Macademia Crunch - mmmmmmmmm!

So it was now time to hit the road to Kaikoura which took around 3 hours to do. It was pretty uneventful but we did stop off at a road side cafe - which had a beach view over the Eastern Pacific Ocean!

As we drove closer to Kaikoura we found some NZ fur seals relaxing on the rocks - pretty cool to get up close and personal with these wild animals!

Our home for another few nights was the Donegal House B&B - which was a kitsch Irish Themed B&B! Very twee - lots of stereotypical Irish artifacts plastered everywhere! There was a bar & restaurant attached too - with ANNOYING accordian music playing constantly!

So after dinner we retired to our room to drink a bottle of champange and gorge on the Macadamia Nut Crunch - HEAVEN!

12th January 2007

We had our whale watching tour booked today! Now l was both dreading and looking forward to this trip equally! I suffer horrendous sea sickness and this was an open ocean trip!

We woke to misty fogginess - were we even going to get on the trip? Visability was dire! Luckily we got out - but a lot of the trips after us were cancelled!

So l was loaded up with homeopathic seasickness tablets, ginger to suck on, water & the travel bands! THEY DIDNT WORK! I felt awful - it was horrendous! I didnt throw up but l wish l had maybe l would've felt better!

So it looked as though we were not going to see a whale at all- the staff were tracking one for ages but it looked as though he was not going to surface. We were actually on our retreat back to shore when there was a roar - the male Sperm whale surfaced!

I got some cool shots of him diving again - it nearly maded the seasickness worth it

I was glad to get back to shore believe me! After seasickness it takes me AGES to come around even when l am back on dry land - and usually l need to eat sat to help get over the nausea! So we had fish n chips for lunch - delicious & they even had vinager!

In the afternoon we went down to the seal colony for a wander - we walked for around an hour taking photos and wandering over the rocks looking in the rock pools! We had to leave cos the tide was coming in!

We had dinner in Kaikoura tonight for dinner at a restaurant called Aroma and then for a beer in Strawberry Tree!

Kaikoura