The Journey Begins - From London to Melbourne

Belfast Travel Blog

Leaving Northern Ireland via London via Frankfurt via Singapore and at last MELBOURNE! Happy Christmas everyone!

The night before the journey starts and its a bit tense in our household - running around trying to get packing finished - lm trying to do the housework and leave home in a decent state, Paul hasnt really started packing so has just dropped off the travel money, taken a bag of tolitries plus camera tripod and lonely planet guided that he has to pack into his luggage!

Of course we are slightly stressed about the fact that domestic flights into Heathrow are hit by this fog we are experiencing! We have 3 hours to before our next connection to Frankfurt at 17hours and then another 3 hours before our Singapore flight!

On top of this we have a friends Christmas party to go to tonight and trying to get through to my mates l do not want to get blitzed before flying tomorrow just aint getting through!

I suppose l had better stop putting off the things l have to do and get on with it!

Thats it for now!

Saturday 23rd Dec - Monday 25th Dec

So our first flight of the day was not until lunchtime from Belfast - so we thought why not treat ourselves with a good breakfast that l dont have to cook and clean up from!

So we headed out to grab food which was lovely BUT when we got home l wasnt able to park outside my house!!!!!!!!

I was NOT amused - theres a football ground near my house - and as it was the last Saturday before Christmas there was a big match. So fans were parking EVERYWHERE - including outside my house! We didnt have time to wait obviously - luckily my friend Janine came to the rescue and moved the car for me later that day!

The flight to London was uneventful - although it looked like we were in for QUITE a queue in terminal 2 in LHR due to the back log from the previous days of fog but thankfully our frequent fliers cards helped us out and we were able to get through and jump the queues!!!!!

Otherwise it would be scary cos there were aimless queues seemingly pointing to nowhere in particular and there was NO ONE about to give advice - there were only staff on the main terminal doors barring entry!

London - Frankfurt - Singapore uneventful - slept a bit watched Little Miss Sunshine thats it.

Once in Changi we bobbed around the shops picking up some booze, perfume and SD cards for the camera. I then went into the Singapore Airlines Lounge and decided to have a shower. This was great l felt refreshed ready for my next long haul flight - getting ready l opened a drawer and saw a hairdryer - went to use it and didnt notice loose wires hanging out (l had no contacts in and no specs on - l was blind!) - yes you guessed it ZAP - an electric shock! Nothing too serious but wow it could of been! When l told staff they reacted to remove the hairdryer but l am still waiting for one to ask me if l am ok or do l need medical assistance! Note to self - write letter to SIA ref this issue!

Anyway - the flight to Melbourne pretty uneventful arrived in 6.5 hours which was cool, grabbed some bottles of champers on arrival and made our way to our transfers.

photo by: vulindlela