The ferry to the South Island!

Picton Travel Blog

Once again had to get up early - today we were catching the ferry down to the South Island. Luckily a shuttle went from the hostel to the ferry place which saved us a lot of bother. We caught the 9.30am ferry which soon began to sway up and down at an alarming gradient. Now neither of us had every suffered from sea sickness before but for me (Diane) that was about to change. I had to have constant visits to the cold deck to get fresh air and came very close to being sick. We have never seen so many people looking quite so green! It was an extremely choppy crossing and think it may have scarred me for life!!! It was quite amazing however that as soon as we reached the Marlborough Sounds and could see the South Island the sea suddenly changed and was like a mill pond. My recovery was just as sudden and i was eating chips within no time. The scenery was very pretty as we approached the Island. Once we had got off the ferry we collected our hire car which turned out to have a c.d. player and air con - nice!! After cashing some travelers cheques and stocking up on snacks in Picton we set off along the scenic route to Nelson. By early evening we had reached the Abel Tasman National Park and pitched our tent at Marahau Beach Camp. At the campsite we booked a water taxi for tomorrow that would drop us along the route (not accessible by road) and then pick us up the following day further along the route. We went for a meal at the Park Cafe Lodge, as it was a pleasant evening we initially sat outside. However we were soon driven inside by the dreaded sandfly who were beginning to eat us alive!!! We drank beer and wrote some postcards while we waited for our food to arrive - it took 1 1/4 hours - It was worth it though - we both ate like women possessed!
glennisnz says:
Certainly there can be very rough seas in Cook Strait, a rough crossing is not pleasant, but often it is a smooth sailing with dolphins to watch playing along the way, and its lovely to sit up on the deck in the sunshine; not just to escape waves of nausiousness! I usually travel in the evening when its often calmer.
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008
Purdy says:
Oh er lm not looking forward to this ferry ride then - l suffer really badly from seasickness!! Will definately stock up on remedies!! Heather
Posted on: Jul 08, 2006