a couple of days

San Francisco Travel Blog

Arrived into SF this morning on a overnight bus and not quite sure what we are going to do. We leave on Saturday night late, so we don't have a lot of time. We may try and get to Alcatraz, but will have to wait and see. All I want to do is sleep, but we can't check into the hostel yet!

Managed to check into the hostel and literally bumped into Sam, the friend from University who travelled with us in NZ- how random. He  told us that he had bumped into James the day before, its a small world.
Sam had been here for a couple of days so helped us to  do the sites with another couple of guys that we had met on the greyhound.
We went up to a tower to get a beautiful view of the city. The view was clear and we could see the golden gate bridge and Alcatraz, amazing. Our only disappointment is that the trips to Alcatraz are fully booked so I will have to just come back. We then walked through China Town, and onto the tram stop in Market street. We queued for ages for the tram, but it was worth it, just stunning views of the city and the tram drivers were hilarious. They just stopped traffic and had a chat whenever they felt like it.
We got off the tram next to the Crooked street and had a wonder up it and then walked down to the docks to ctach the land train back.
I really like the feel of San Francisco, its a compact city and has a much friendlier atmosphere than LA. I just wish we were staying longer.
rideouts says:
I hope you get a chance to see the golden gate bridge! It is really quite amazing. It can be cold though, even when the city is warm, so bring layers!
Posted on: Jul 07, 2006