Ayers Rock

Alice Springs Travel Blog

 › entry 12 of 41 › view all entries

We arrived into Alice Springs and immediately appreciated the dry heat rather than the humidity we had had for 5 weeks. My hair actually dries when I wash it rather than staying continually damp.

The hostel seems friendly although they did neglect to pick us up from the airport and put our trek back a day because they had overbooked. We hoped this wasn't an omen.

The first couple of days we just slept, chilled out and bought a few things we were running low on.

The three day trek started with a 6am set off, I am starting to get used to waking up early now but it still hurts. We had a long drive ahead of us, but we stopped at an aborignial art place on the way which had some beautiful paintings in it. Our first proper stop was Kings Canyon. We had quite a hard walk up it and then some people swam in the garden of eden at the bottom of the gorge, but it was far too cold for us. The walk was nice and there were beautiful views.

We drove onto our bush camp stopping to watch a beautiful sunset and collect some fire wood. We cooked dinner and slept out in Swags under the stars. Swags are like body bags with a mattress in them, it doesn't sound very appealing but with a sleeping bag in they are so cosy. It was just wonderful to sleep under the stars especially when you can see so many with no light pollution.

The next day we woke up with the moon after sleeping surprisingly well, I think we were just all so tired. Today we were off to the Olgas which loomed upon us as we got nearer. They are an imposing site and look a bit like Ayres rock in pieces. They were formed from the debris of a mountain range and plate movement turned them on an angle to produce what we see today. We did the valley of the winds walk, which actually wasn't too windy. The weather was sunny which made this walk much more pleasant than yesterday.

We had a well deserved lunch of my now favourite peanut butter and then headed off to Ayres rock. We had the option to climb it, but we had decided we weren't going to . The Aboringinees ask that you don't climb it and I wouldn't trust myself not to freak out at the top. There isn't anything to grip onto for the first bit and after that all you have is a rail and a rope. Some of our group went up and they said the view was amazing, but the climb was terrifying. I didn't regret not doing it.

We then went onto the sunset spot to cook dinner and watch the changing colours of Ayres rock. The sunset wasn't as spectacular as I was expecting, but it was fascinating to see how different the rock looks in the changing light. We made a group decision to sleep out in the bush again tonight, but we did have the opportunity to have a shower which was very welcome. So we slept in swags under the stars circled round the fire.

The last day was the earliest rise of them all. We got up at 5.30am and piled into the bus. We all jumped out at Ayres rock and after brushing our teeth we set off on the 9.4km walk whilst it was still dark.

The sun rose as we walked around the rock and returned to the bus just in time for bufallo sausages for breakfast. We felt such a sense of achievement to have done such a long walk before breakfast.


Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Alice Springs
photo by: WandaMichelle