The museum of Ollantaytambo

Ollantaytambo Travel Blog

The weather wasn't very good the day after so what would be a nice thing to do. Of course visiting a museum. The lonely planet mentioned under 'sights and activities' a nice museum about the local history and ethnography. Well I thought it would be nice to visit this museum this morning. After a short walk I arrived at the courtyard of the museum. In front of the museum was running a channel which was originally made by the Inca's. The fresh water running through the channel was coming from on of the high mountains. After looking a bit round the courtyard it appeared that nobody was there. Then I tried in the little shop at the entrance hall. Also nobody. After a while an older man was coming to check who it was. He invites me inside and ask me to give a donation to the museum and he says well look around. He pointed that I had to go upstairs which is a bit funny because the downstairs area seems to me a bit larger. I walked upstairs at the blue painted stairs and started at the last area. There is a large wall painting which tells the story how the people would have made the fortress. In the second area they have objects and pictures about the agrarian life. It's funny how to see a Peruvian family poses with the showcase dolls but after 15 minutes I was standing outside again.

photo by: lrecht