At a height in Colca Canyon

Chivay Travel Blog

I arranged a trip to the Colca Canyon. A little minivan stopped at the possada. We were with three: me, a Brazilian girl and an Italian man. We drove to Arequipa it's nice to see Arequipa by foot but this way of transport is also nice for some sightseeing. We stopped over at another hotel. Two guys were coming into the van, it turned out that they were American. After the second stop we were heading for Colca Canyon. Outside of Arequipa we stopped and made some nice pictures of the Vulcano El Misti and bought stuff like drinks and Coca leaves. When we drove further, we became more uphill. We drove slower and slower. Beautiful scenery's on our way to the highest point of the Colca Canyon but first we had a Coca leave tea stop.

For me the tea was delicious. They putted another herb in it which kept my stomach at ease. Well I got definitely altitude sickness...

We stopped at the highest point at 5.000 meters. The guide told us to walk slowly. Well I did, but not feeling a hundred percent right now. If you would like to imagine, I live about 15 meters under the sea level in the Netherlands. It's about 5 kilometers higher than what I'm used to, hahaha. But loving the view and had some pictures with the stone and the children. Then the guide also took us to a nice restaurant but I was feeling too bad to eat. The little hotel was so cozy, I had to bend in the doorway for entering but my room it was really nice. And the American guys got some yoghurt for me, really sweet. Thank you guys for that!!! That night it became very cold and I used the thick blankets I had in my room and the sleep overnight did me very well.

photo by: scacos2006