The market at Chichicastenango

Chichicastenango Travel Blog

Blankets

Wednesday involved a pretty long journey down from Todos Santos to Chichicastenango. We caught a very early morning chicken bus from Todos Santos to the crossroads at Chiantla & then a connecting bus on to Sacapulas , where we took the opportunity for a quick look around the little village , gentle river (with its scarily unstable looking road bridge) , tiny plaza , church (which was being restored) and the pleasant "convento" (where the church services were being held during the restoration). Then it was another microbus to Santa Cruz del Quiche , which involved passing through some really beautiful scenery in the surrounding countryside. Grabbed some lunch and a brief wander around Santa Cruz del Quiche , which is a nice little town with a large market , plaza & cathedral. After Quiche it was yet another microbus for the short hop to Chichicastenango , so as to be in time for the set up of the market when many hundreds of Mayans come in from their village homes in the surrrounding hills.

Hats and bags
 Chichi is most famous for it´s Thursday and Sunday markets and it´s good to arrive the night before so as to see the locals setting up their stalls in the evening and also to be able to go to the market early on the following morning , in order to at least partially avoid the large tour groups which apparently bus in to town by around mid-morning. On Wednesday evening we had some really nice pizza.

I got chatting to a 19-year old German guy on a 2 week "holiday" in Guatemala from his volunteering in Nicaragua for a year - he was planning to hike Tajamulco this weekend and was very interested in getting the lowdown on the trip. The hostel in Chichi was in a really great location at the top of the hill , with views front & back over the town of Chichi and the surrounding hills.

The ritual site
Thursday morning was then the fascinating market ... really an interesting spectacle although I gather it wasn't as busy or as large as the Sunday markets ... you can buy all sorts of high quality artesania as well as just about anything else you might want to buy , including live chickens pulled out of a bag ! So I spent a good few hours wandering the market and also headed a short way up into the hills to try and see a Mayan ritual , but this time they had finished by the time I got there so I only got to see the site with its crosses and blackened remains, from here I'm heading back to Guatemala City to catch a bus to Chiquimula near the border with Honduras. I would love to take the time go to Coban and Semec Champuey as well as its supposed to be a really pretty part of the country , but if I was to go up there it would mean another week in Guatemala and I´m already over my planned time here and I dont want to miss out on future countries/places so with somewhat mixed feelings I´m pressing on to Honduras.

Mayan women working at market