San Pedro beautiful and relaxing

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Blog

Having got my Spanish classes organised for next week I caught a chicken bus to San Pedro La Laguna which is a small village situated at the edge of Lake Atitlan. The lake is huge and is also apparently the deepest in Central America and is a really stunning landscape as you approach it on a great winding road down from the hills on the bus. San Pedro is really a very small place with a mix of many travellers , an increasing long term ex-pat settler community and of course the Mayan locals. Basically San Pedro has two docks Santiago and Panajachel which you walk between either by going uphill into the little town centre or along a trail which is lined with bars,restarants and a few low key shops .Decided that I deserved a treat on the accomodation front and really wanted a relaxing weekend before starting my Spanish so I got my own double room at one of the better hotels the Mansion Del Lago with a great lakeside view at the Panjachel dock end.  I enjoyed a really nice and lazy couple of days by the lake , doing some reading , walking by the lake and enjoying the bars and restaurants right on the lake shore. Would have liked to have had the time to see some of the other villages dotted around the lake such as San Marcos and Santiago Atitlan , so its very possible I may come back to Lake Atitlan on route to Honduras or El Salvador.