One day trip to Chichen Mexico

Chochon Travel Blog

cenote swimming hole
 I paid 50 dollars including lunch and visit to one of the cenotes on our way there. Chichen Itza is a must see place in Yucatan. Not only because of the fame of this place but also because of the history that surrounds it and the wonderful Mayan culture that you'll see everywhere on your way there.

You will most likely pass through Valladolid, a small town between Cancun and Merida, where you can see lots of Mayan people selling their handcrafts and some other local stuff. Women wearing traditional white dresses decorated with some flowery pattern. If your lucky, in some restaurants you can see the traditional Mayan dance, where dancers perform with bottles or even trays full of bottles and glasses on their heads.
More road signs
Very interesting. Obviously, like for most things that you see in Mexico you are expected to leave a good tip. Usually $1-2 or 10-20 pesos. When you get to Chichen Itza first thing that you see are souvenir stands everywhere. You can buy almost everything, from wooden statutes to colorful blankets and clothes, but you don't want to buy your stuff yet as you still have so much to see and carrying it with you wouldn't be that comfy. Besides, everything tends to be less expensive before they close, so you might want to wait till then and get yourself a bargain.
As soon as you walk in you get surrounded by lots of kids and elderly women selling small cloth strips for 10 pesos which isn't very much, it's like $1 but if you were to buy a piece from every one of them you would probably spend all your money.
kids playing in dirt
So first thing to learn is to say "No Thanks" "No Gracias". Very useful.

The first plaza we entered contained what proved to me the most massive pyramids of Chichen Itza. Of course they were so acoustically balanced, that we felt obligated to do our "clapping thing" in the middle. Creative name huh! So if you go directly in the center of the plaza, you literally can clap, and hear it echo off the surrounding pyramids. The echo is SO precise that is sounds exactly like the national Mayan bird, the Quetzal!

There were some other cool things to explore, especially the CAVE! There was this little cave right off the trail that had BATS in them. I felt like Ace Ventura when inside. Bats were hanging everywhere!! My job was to extract the prized bat...Wachichi. Ok so it was all in my imagination, but then again what isn't! Our next stop was a surrounding plaza on the outskirts of Chichen Itza where we met some fellow United States people (I don't say "Americans" because technically that includes everybody from North and South America).

welcome to Chichen sign
They had just received a tour! Therefore, they would be the perfect teachers of newly acquired knowledge right!....Wrong! Omg. They just received a tour for 40 dollars a person, and they didn't know ANYTHING! I ended up teaching them all I learned about the Maya while they kind of just nodded their heads and looked the other way. It was clear they were not that interested in learning. What a shame! It's like you miss out on the experience when you have to speculate for yourself why, when, where and how the ruins were constructed.

We saw Iguanas! And as one of my English friends would say, they were "Massive and Wicked" in size. I even touched one's tail!  There were SO many vendors selling authentic Mayan stuff. I bought this cool little mask for only 60 pesos...that's 6 dollars. I felt good considering I talked him down from his original offer of 120 pesos.

rainbow effect

Our last stop was at this little pool nestled inside this crater in the earth that went down literally 100 feet from the earth floor. The water was really green, otherwise we would have jumped in! Not! Remember it was 100 feet down! We took some cool pictures, but that was about all. I continued exploring the whole site and see as much as I could until the big laser light show later this evening which was super cool, if you get a chance it's definately worth staying for to see!!! I think I've about seen what i wanted here in the yucatan area of Mexico and it's time to move on I just haven't yet decided if i want to jump on over to Cuba or jet onto Belize, I think I'll lounge around tomorrow and contemplate that, so my next entry will either be from Cuba or Belize until then enjoy the pictures I've taken and try not to get to antsy about where I'll show up at!!! LOL

souvenirs
more skulls
more skulls
and even more skulls
and even more skulls
Mayan basketball court notice the …
Mayan basketball court notice the…
serpent