Huehuetenango

Huehuetenango Travel Blog

the dreadful ruins

Stopped for one night in the town of Huehuetenango on the way to Todos Santos , unfortunately arriving with pretty wet rucksacks and mostly wet clothes inside after the bags had been uncovered on the roof of the chicken bus & it poured down with rain on the way from Momo. Huehue is not much more than a pleasant transit town , with links to Xela , the Western Highlands villages and the Mexican border. The upside of staying there was that unlike Momo there were actually some open restaurants ... hooray ... so it was good to fill up on some nice food - yummy pasta at an Italian restaurant , accompanied by very cheap Guatemalan wine. Upon tasting the wine it was easy to understand (a) why it was so cheap and (b) why Guatemala is not renowned for its wine making prowess.

Huehue 1
... sorry Guatemala I love so many things about you , but alas not your wine. There are some  Mayan ruins at Huehue called "Zacaleu" , but to be quite frank they are rather dreadful. I know I have been spoiled and now have massive expectations , having visited the truly splendid sites at Tikal , but Zacaleu is poor. The ruins were apparently badly restored using concrete in the 1940s and when we took a look at them from the entrance to the site they were so dreadful we didnt want to pay the 25 quetzales entrance fee (I know , possibly a little bit of "budgetitis") , esp. as my guidebook said they were supposed to be free , so we scuttled straight back into town on a microbus. Back in town , Huehue was a pleasant enough place for an hour or so with its pretty cathedral , plaza and shops , but not anything really compelling or memorable , so its onwards to Todos Santos !

Huehue 2