Day 2 – Chinese Visa, Shopping, The Peak, and Trouble at the Hostel

Hong Kong Travel Blog

In one of the treets in Wan Chai.

It’s a whole lot easier acquiring a Chinese VISA from Hongkong rather than my home country. Numerous tourist centers all around the city do offer VISA application services for tourists but charge way too expensively. I got a tip from a friend to get it from the Chinese Embassy in Wanchai, Hongkong (walking distance from Wan Chai station), and that was indeed the very first thing I did that morning.  A Filipino would not need a VISA to enter Hongkong or Macau (independent Chinese regions) but I plan on going to Beijing and Harbin in January.

Address:

Tel: 3413 2300 / 3413 2424

Opening Hours: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-12:00nn; 2:00pm-5:00pm

Sat, Sun & Holidays: Closed

Getting there:

Take the train to Wan Chai Station, Exit at the HK Exhibition Center exit, and walk down the overpass.

Looking back at Kowloon Island...
Get down on the stairs to your right before the entrance (via overpass) leading to the Exhibition Center Building.  Follow the road and cross a small curved road. You will then see an entrance (side of the building) with an officer in tuxedo. That should be it! You wont miss it as it always has a long cue of tourists waiting to get in the building.

What to bring:

1 Passport-size picture (with white background)

Ballpen

Passport

I got on the 7th floor, filled up the Visa application form and waited for my number to be called.
skyscrapers

The Chinese officer in the counter just got my passport, no questions asked, and asked me to come back on Monday with 300HKD. No hassle! Yay! I hurriedly left, took the train to Monkok Station, where I was going to buy my camera tripod, and of course a remote control! (Who said you can’t take pictures of yourself when you’re travelling alone?? ;)

Monkok is a street for digital freaks and fanatics. The minute you step out of the train station, you’d see an entire street lined with digital shops. From cameras, digital accessories, and all sorts of computer stuff, name it, Monkok has it.  I got my carbon fiber tripod, etc ;) at Wing Shing Photo Supplies at a very good price. Everything’s a bargain considering that prices (camera accessories) in the Philippines are usually twice more expensive! Yooohooo finally I can take really good night pictures! Can’t wait to see the view from the Peak tonight!

I decided to go home to rest for a while. The hostel owner had informed me the night before  that I was to transfer to another single room for the next 3 nights since I has occupied a 2-bed room the previous night. Hmmm.. This woman (a partner hostel owner) led me to Chunking Mansion and

directed me to this very cute single room the 17th floor.

A busy Central street
Crazy! The elevators on Chunking Mansion only serviced till the 16th floor. To get to the  17th, one had to take the elevator to the 16th, and climb a narrow and steep plight of stairs. The room was literally a box!. No window, no TV, fan nor air-condition.  There is no way I was ever gonna stay here! I stomped back to Mirador Hostel, and furiously told the hostel owner to transfer me back to my original booking - a dormitory type mixed room. I didn’t care whether id be the only woman there. After a long argument, he finally agreed and refunded me with 150HKD, and booked me on a 6 bed dorm room for another 3 nights. Hehe. 450 for 4 nights, one of which in a single room, wasn’t so bad at all. J

At 4 pm, I grabbed my camera and tripod and headed for The Peak.  Bus 3A on Central Pier Bus Station 6 takes you directly to the Peak Tram Station, while Bus 3 takes you on another station for another separate mini bus ride to the Peak Galleria just  in case you wouldn’t liketaking the Tram.  I decided to take the Tram for a more scenic view.

The spectacular view from the Peak!
The Peak Tram has been operating even before Hitler was born and travels between the Central and the Peak. It runs daily between 7 am and midnight.

Costs:  Round trip Tram ride + Sky Terrace Package • HKD48

Single trip + Sky Terrace Package • HKD37

Sky Terrace entrance only • HKD20

Single Tram trip only - HKD22

Round Trip (Tram only) - HKD33

The Peak is located 453 meters above sea level, on one of the highest mountain peaks of Hongkong Island. The Sky Terrace, an open air rooftop, offers a spectacular 360 degree view of the island. The 13 degree winds were just freezing when I got there. Nevertheless, I was determined to take a gazzilion shots of the view with my new tripod.

Another one from the peak
And I sure did after I subjected myself to 40 more minutes of the bone-breaking temperature. J

Back in the dormitory hostel room, I spent the rest of the night chatting with my roommates who were all too friendly, and interestingly enough, all travelling alone too! (all 7 of us!). Nice

sweetnchoco says:
Hi!
Enjoy reading your journal.very helpful too.
Posted on: Jun 10, 2008
reikunboy says:
I had trouble at the guest house that I stayed in to in HK. On the last night I was there I went back to my room to find that all my clothes had been taken out of my bag. I went to the front desk and yelled where are my clothes. He went to his room which had a washing machine in it and pulled out my wet clothes I snatched them out of his hands and stormed of to my room. LOL
Posted on: Dec 10, 2007
Another one from the peak
the IFC tower, one of the tallest …
the IFC tower, one of the tallest…
Jackie Chans wax at the wax museum
Jackie Chan's wax at the wax museum
The Peak Tram