What a week! (Ao Nang & West Coast)

Thailand Travel Blog

Thailand West Coast
Ok ready for another update.

One week on and now the reality of not being at home starts to kick in. This week have such a mad time. Am going to start with our move from Phuket. Oh yeah forget to mention we picked up an extra travler with us now, an Australian girl, 27 year old doctor. Found lost in Phuket backpackers hostel decided to tag along.

From Phuket we got 3 hour bus journey to a place called Krabi where we were greeted with locals sticking strange food in our faces trying to get us to buy and Taxi touts trying to get our buisness. Instead we decided to opt for a Tuc Tuc (poor mans taxi) to our next destination Ao Nang just a 30 min ride.
We stay in a place named Blue Balou, not quit sure what it means in Thai, but not a bad little place. It isn't a hostel but instead a little complex with about 10 different cabins which sleep 2 in one double bed. Me and Micheal have own bathroom and cold shower so is nice not having to share.

After spending one night in Ao Nang we had arranged a personalised tour for the next 4 days to take us to the different islands and camp for 2 nights on 1 island. We were to be taken on our own longtail boat and looked after by Thai man named Sun.

Day one was amazing. The weather was fantastic, the sea calm and just very excited to see the beaches we heard so much about. Our first beach we came to was unbelievable it was like something out of a movie. A small beach named Hong surronded by limestone with clear sea and white sand, fish swimming around your feet.
From there we were then taken to another beach where we were presented with a feast by our tour guide Sun. We sat having lunch while the waves brushed our feet. In the afternoon we were then taken to an amazing island named Paradise island. Again a very small bay, clear sea and white sand with only a coulple of locals for company.

The next day Bamboo island was our destination. The beach on this island a lot longer and busy compared to the previous beaches. We arrived at the beach and set up Camp as we would be camping there for the next 2 nights. After spending the day just relaxing, swimming and snorkeling we departed to the dinner table. We were served Squid with rice and dined and chatted with the locals another fantastic experience seing as these peole have been on this island out casted for the last 5 years.
As I lay there that night trying to go to sleep all I could here was the waves lightly crashing against the sand and see where the stars above in the clear night sky something I dont think i will ever forget.

The next day we were taken to the famous Phi Phi islands where the beach was filmed. The islands have been very much commercialised and I didnt enjoy quite as much as the previous islands. There are 2 Islands Phi Phi lay and Phi Phi don. One is like coming back to England with many western tourists and english resturants, surrounded by hussle bussle and large hotels. The other is an uninhabited island and boat tours going out constantly.

With Phi Phi done we made our way back to Bamboo island where we were camping. On the way back we were travelling about 7 pm and the sun was just settling was so pretty with the clear sky and the open sea.
Once back to Bamboo it was time to find the torches have showers and clean up before dinner. After the lovely shower with freezing cold dirty water it was time for lunch. We were treated with a feast as a Barracuda had been caught that day and was laid out on our table in a number of different ways. After huge meal and getting little drunk again with the 5 locals that lived on the island it was time for bed. I was slightly concerned that night as they told me that one of there cats who run around where we where sleeping had been eaten by a python the week before. That night the weather was horrible it rained and rained all night. Very little sleep once again as our tent decided to leak.

Up bright and early again the next day with our breakfast consisting of deep fat fried egg, chiken, rice and barracuda, who needs Maccie Ds.
The great thing about the island people is that they live off the land. Everything they eat is either caught from sea or got from there chickens.

On our last day of our four day trip we were taken to another island named chicken island not to sure why the tour guide Sun till tell us but didnt really understand what he was saying. This another amazing island, very open compared to previous islands and walks across shallow sea to get to other islands close by. The weather this day was very stormy so we didn't stay long but headed off to other island that i was not to sure of name of for quick bite to eat. As the storm had got quite bad it was time to head back to mainland. A 45 min boat trip back to shore in the stormy weather was good fun the boat was getting thrown all over the place and we were soaked by the time getting off. Back on mainland it was straight back to Blue Bayou Never has it felt so nice to have cold shower and fairly clean toilet.

We got freshend up had a meal with our tour guide Sun and his australian wife and started having few drinks. The couple left we said our goodbyes and I came to check my Emails. While sitting emailing got through couple of beers. Didn't quite realise these beers were going to be start of big night. After finishing emails headed down to bar for few drinks. After a few cocktails and listening to some old english classics moved onto a bar run by Thai women between 20 and 30 years old. After many beers a few shots and a red bull was time to find out what the local club was like. Was in there 2 mins and had guy in my face trying to dance. Kindly told him where to go and moved him out the way when i saw the next thing smiling at me. I think this was what they called a lady boy. From there seemed to ease off and just spent the night dancing away to strange thai music. I woke up this morning feeling very rough, had a little breakfast and now am sitting here bringing this blog to a finish.

We were supposed to be getting up and heading off to rainforest. But seing as bus was at 11 and it now 11.40 think will have to wait till tomor.

Have now got a few of my Pics on PhotoBox if you are interested in viewing them then send me email and i will send you the album.

Stay tuned will try write next blog soon!