Highs & Lows
Leersum Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
December 6th, 2007 – by: Sweetski
These woods almost disappeared by intensive logging in the early parts of the previous century. This turned the underlaying soil into sand which in its turn made it almost impossible to live there. Since 1928 however, replanting started. Nowadays a fully grown, well maintained 'forrest' is in place.
About 6500 inhabitats live in Leersum. The village is devided in to two sections, a high and a low part, separated by the mainroad 'Rijksstraatweg'. One side is dominated by the fore mentioned hills and woods. The other side is flat land dominated by agriculture. The village has a nice little old center where you'll find a church (ca. 1500 AD) and a former inn. Nowadays the inn is a wine and liqorstore (slijterij) but it was origanally built as a court of law in 1690. Later it became an inn named "King William". The name change took place after king Willam III stayed here in 1697.
In January 2006 Leersum joined with surrounding communities (Maarn, Amerongen, Driebergen and Doorn) to form a new municipal: 'Gemeente Utrechtse Heuvelrug'.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!