Limbo

Berkeley Travel Blog

The journal entry looked kind of plain without a photo, so here is a random shot of the TravBuddy "offices"! This is also the only known evidence that my desk was ever clean.
I'm one of those people who don't really get too excited about anything until it's actually happening. Although I leave in less than 48 hours for a 5-week trek around Eastern Europe, I don't think the reality of the situation has set in yet. It was like this when I left to study abroad in Rome, too. I watched the animated progress of our flight path on the video screen with a sense of detachment, almost like it was just a video game, not even real. Only when we were hovering somewhere above the Atlantic did I think about what I was getting into.

Fortunately, I didn't have to think much, because at that time in my life Europe was just a name in my mind, a fuzzy continent on the other side of the globe. Rome was just a place where they used to speak Latin, unarguably the most unnecessarily confusing language of all time. In fact, the main reason I wanted to study abroad was to avoid another grueling semester of computer science classes, and travel was just a means of escape rather than a worthy goal in itself.

Things are different now. Although I am still woefully ignorant of world affairs, I've at least made an effort to read up on the histories and cultures of the places I am visiting, which should ultimately make my travels more satisfying. Far from being an escape, travel has become a lifestyle I want to continue.
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on the feature Eric!!
Vikram says:
Congrats on your feature mate!
gejah says:
Congrats on your feature today!! Have a nice summer!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010
The journal entry looked kind of p…
The journal entry looked kind of …
Berkeley