Rotorua, New Zealand

Otorohanga Travel Blog

Hell's Gate

Rotorua- the adventure capital of the world! You can do anything their... Bungy Jump, Zorb, Sledge, White Water Raft, Black Water Raft, Luge.. anything.. as long as you have a really big.. open wallet!

So, we just observed! Just kidding.. All these activities are available in Queenstown, South Island and we are sort of in a hurry to get to the South Island so we had limited time. In Rotorua, we did go to a Maori performance and dinner. Rotorua is known for having the most authentic Maori show because the culture is very strong in the area. The other main attraction you can not see elsewhere in New Zealand is the geothermal activity.

Hell's Gate
There is none like it! We went to Hell's Gates in which George Bernard Shaw said, 'I wish I had never seen it. It reminds me of what the theologians have promised...' Well, that is the just of the quote.. I can't remember the rest. Basically, he named it Hell's Gate because it was the picture of what was described as the consequence of sin- of Hell. I actually liked it! I was able to get a mud bath and a facial! Other than the really cool bath, it was a stinky, steaming wasteland with boiling mud, inkpots and water holes.

Rotorua itself SMELLS! It is known for its smell due to the geothermal activity. Imagine the guy next to you had diarrhea in his pants and never left your side.. followed you everywhere.. and you wanted to yell at the diarrhea boy to leave.. that his smell is nauseating you and your about to hurl, but he never leaves.

Hell's Gate 'Ink Pot'
. he just sticks with you and refuses to clean himself.. That is what Rotorua smells like. Ok, to make it a little more simple.. It smells like rotten eggs.

Along with Hell's Gate and the Maori show, we went to one other geothermal park that is known as the most colorful in the country due to the various minerals. It's called Wai blah blah blah blah blah.. Ok, so Maori names just carry on forever! Anyway, that one has a geyser they set off every day by adding soap down the spout. It normally goes off every 24 to 72 hours and by using this soap mixture it regulates it to go every 24 hours. That way they get more money from tourism because you are guarenteed a show! The park was really colorful and cool. It smelled too of course.. Like that nice smell I described earlier! Yummy! It had a really cool looking yellow lake and another lake with orange edges.

My mud bath! Yummy!
There used to be a white and pink terrace (due to the minerals) and it was buried in a volcanic eruption in 1886. It was one of the 8th wonders of the world at that time.. so we read. A hotel was buried at that time too. Not sure if there were people in it. This is the only park in the world that was formed during historical times.

Well, there was plenty to do and see and smell in Rotorua, but we only stayed 3 days. We headed east today to Otorohanga to go to the Waitoma Caves. We are going abseiling down in a little bit and Ben's all upset because they won't let him wear jeans. It's NOT like they told him he has to go NAKED or anything.. But whatever!

Well, will get pictures up when we can. Excited because tomorrow is the first day we get to go to church since we left. Hopefully we don't sleep in! Heading to Wellington tomorrow. Have a ticket for the ferry to the South Island the following day. So, TTYL!

berrypicker says:
Tori! You ought to go into travelog writing - you're a winner. I'm right there with you in the rotten eggs. Ugh
So, what was the big deal about the pants and what's Zorb and what's abseiling? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2008
mc-leod says:
the guy next to you had diarrhea in his pants!

Great, now I know were I never will be there. hihi

Axel
Hell's Gate 'Ink Pot'
Geothermal Pool
Geothermal Pool
Mud Pools
Waiting forever for the perfect sh…
Waiting forever for the perfect s…
The Chief